YBR 250

Throttled
This post is 3916 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

there are some out there CMC bikes in chesterfield and cannock have a 2010 ybr250 in red for sale,CMCbikes are a yamaha main dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a YBR250 a few days weeks ago. It was to replace my Hyosung GT250. Mine is still running in so I haven't taken it to 70 more than a couple of times. It certainly can be done though there will be hills that bring you down below 70. The truth is, compared to the Hyosung I had last, the YBR is much less powerful. Saying that it handles beautifully and stops really really well. That makes it a bit of a chilled out ride (which I like). The fuel tank is massive and I've got 75mpg without making any effort. My commute isn't likely to give high MPG figures as it's twisty, hilly back country roads so I'm up and down the gears for all 16 miles. I'd guess that the 90mpg others have clamied shouldn't be too much of a challenge on the right commute and taken easy.

The YBR250 is still pretty new to the UK market and 250s aren't taking off the same why here as they have across the channel. That may still happen though. Can't beat them for the commute unless you are doing serious motorway miles. The YBR250 is really popular in Europe though. Plenty of non english language forums dedicated to them.

Acording to aclams in Harrogate, the service interval is 6k!?! I'd never let a bike go that long without new oil and filter though.

• 2 weeks later...

Small thread bump to see if there is any more experiences for this bike. Having now started lessons on a Suzuki GS500 for direct access and experienced a larger bike for the first time, would I find the 250 too small a power upgrade from the 125? Or would I finally feel with the 250 acceleration and a 60mph cruise that will easily keep up with most cars. That level of performance would do me fine.

I can't find an official mpg nor 0-60 or 1/4 mile time for the YBR250 anywhere.

Small thread bump to see if there is any more experiences for this bike. Having now started lessons on a Suzuki GS500 for direct access and experienced a larger bike for the first time, would I find the 250 too small a power upgrade from the 125? Or would I finally feel with the 250 acceleration and a 60mph cruise that will easily keep up with most cars. That level of performance would do me fine.

I can't find an official mpg nor 0-60 or 1/4 mile time for the YBR250 anywhere.

Going by the 250 Fazer which is sold in India and the CB250 here, 0-60 is about 9 seconds and a realistic top speed of 85mph.

• 5 months later...

Had mine for a while now. My ride top work is pretty hard on a bike so it only gets 75mpg average. Took it to Lincoln from Harrogate this summer and it was fine on the motorway at 70. Think taking it to 85 would not be sensible without a smaller sprocket out back. In fact the single pot seems happiest at 65 and above feels a little rough. That's fine for me but wouldn't recommend it if you did a regular motorway commute.

As for a 250 after direct access, it just depends what you want. I've been riding post test for 11 years and my bikes are only getting smaller. Seem to have an ethos of riding the smallest bike you can. If you want to have any chance of keeping up with your mates on long rideouts, you need to think bigger.

As for the Hyosung, great in a straight line. Terrible handling as the frame is sloppy and weighs a tonne. I sacked it because it was unreliable in the end (silly because as I write this, my YBR is in the garage and the mechanic can't find a fault). Finish on the Hyo is pretty bad too. It's bigger and much faster though. Cracking motor when it's running.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I live in Budapest, Hungary.

I have an YBR 250, and I use it every day (2 years = 12.000 Miles=cca. 20.000Km).

I love it.

I haven't got any problem.

Good luck for everyone,

like hungarian riders often say: Wide path for everyone.

Peter

(sorry for my english)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Slightly late for this thread perhaps, but I've only just dropped on the YBR 250, offered in a local dealers. Needed a replacement commuter and looked for a 250... serious shortage in this country! Mine is a 2009 and has done just 75 miles. Apparently an old fella bought it new, rode it once then put it in the garage and left it there. If looks are anythign to go by, then the YBR should be brillaint. And it is a Yamaha. If they can't design a good bike, who can?! Shall post again soon. Pick it up on Friday. Can't wait. Hope to use it on longer trips instead of my Speed Triple when the weather is inclement.

• 3 weeks later...

Update on life with my YBR250. Still love it and have now fitted a huge front screen which I'm sure makes it faster (though technically restricted to max 60mph). Changed back tyre to a BT45 as the stock Pirelli lasted less than 6000. Great tyre but it was too short lived for my pockets. Keep on top of it is easy though and the standard rear hugger is a godsend with the road grit we get up on the moors. I still love it and have no plans to change my bike (now).

I say now because I came close. The fuel pump developed an intermittent sticking problem this summer. Never presented for the Yam mechanic in Harrogate and to get a new one without the warranty paying was going to be £6. I thought of selling up and buying an old f650 for the money. Garage finally agreed to replace the pump after 3rd visit on the back of an AA truck. All that for one fault. Sucks when they are intermittent but made life a misery for a few months. Glad I persevered cause the bike otherwise is as solid and dependable as anything else I've owned and feels like it will have many many fuss free years ahead of it.

Only ongoing complaint is common to all bikes of similar design. The steering mounted single light is totally inadequate on dipped beam and worst still cornering on dipped beam. My ride home in the dark is very sedate. Wouldn't be a consideration if you are riding straight roads or urban roads but some of the roads I regularly commute over Blubberhouse Moor aren't anywhere near either category. Ah well, time to look for some after market additional lighting.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a YBR250 for my wife after she found the Kawasaki ER6 a bit fast for her and the YBR125 a bit under powered. She loves the bike but feels a bit insecure with only a side stand. The bike has the fitting for a centre stand. I tried Yamaha UK but they were no help. Yamaha Brazil and Colombia either supply the bike with the stand or offer it as an accessory. They call it a Cavalete Central. See their website and see what I mean. Is there any way to get hold of this stand in the UK. It looks so simple I even think it could be knocked up with a bit of steel tubing and a welding torch. Any help appreciated.

• 7 months later...

I bought a YBR250 for my wife after she found the Kawasaki ER6 a bit fast for her and the YBR125 a bit under powered. She loves the bike but feels a bit insecure with only a side stand. The bike has the fitting for a centre stand. I tried Yamaha UK but they were no help. Yamaha Brazil and Colombia either supply the bike with the stand or offer it as an accessory. They call it a Cavalete Central. See their website and see what I mean. Is there any way to get hold of this stand in the UK. It looks so simple I even think it could be knocked up with a bit of steel tubing and a welding torch. Any help appreciated.

I've not gotten rid of my YBR250. It was mostly great for what it was meant for, very economical and handled really well. Not being able to put a stand on it is a massive pain and all my research turned up no way of getting one in the UK. The major downside of the bike for me turned out the be finish. It was seriously weak and paint was flaking from the wheels at 11000km. Then, it's rear wheel bearings failed at 12000km and took most of the sprocket carrier with them. That was covered by Yamaha but it took them two months to get some of the parts.

To be fair though, none of that is why I traded it in. That was because we had a YBR125 as well and the 250. I started riding it to work 5 days a week, 18 miles each way over the moor and found I got there just as quick and it was just as comfortable. I didn't enjoy fast busy roads with a head wind. However, the YBR250 just wasn't that much better for the extra weight and fuel consumption. Meanwhile, we wanted something we could both go on so the 250 had to go and we now have a Wee Strom and I use the 125 most days to go to work. Even if I do use the Wee, it's not that much thirstier than the YBR250 was but is a whole world more comfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my YBR new, and now it's 4years old and has almost 25000km. The only thing, that needed to repair, was front main light bulb, which costs about 5Euro. Apart from that it's just riding, changing oil as needed and refuelling. I expect, that I will have to change chain set soon, maybe it will last up to 30k km, but that's it. But thats not a fault, chain set is just like oil - it needs changing in regular intervals.

I bought this bike, because I wanted (mostly) a daily commute with a bit of fun factor added. With decent tyres you can cut corners pretty fast (the bike has really good frame and front brake in its price category), acceleration up to 80kmh is better than most cars and fuel efficiency is about 3-4litre/100km, depends on style. I would not recommend the bike for someone with touristic ambitions and also it's really small, if you are planning on riding in two. Also, the power output isn't great for a 250cc. Honda and Kawasaki are offering more powerful 250s (about 31hp if I'm not mistaken, while YBR only has 22). Rear brake is a crappy drum brake, but who uses rear brakes on a bike anyway, right?

I also had an accident when dog crossed my path in a village. What to say. Dog dead or mortally wounded, I had disclocated arm with broken collar bone and YBR was cool. Scratches on muffler and right mirror and thats all. The bike is built from classic steel, not the chinese one (without iron), I guess. I read a story about CBF125, which got bent steering bars, as it fell from side stand, this will definitely not happen with the YBR.

So thats my experience, if it helps.

And also sorry for any errors, but english isn't my native language ;-)

• 1 year later...

Me and a friend of mine are both driving a YBR 250 in Shanghai, China. We use it for our daily commute to work and back home and to get out of the city from time to time.

As a city bike it's perfect, the consumption is relatively low and it's still powerful enough to pass all the cars.

I also like it for it's reliability. So far there was no single issue, I drove around 4000km on mine and my friend 2000km on his.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online