FZR600 Complete Rebuild

karlbentley
This post is 4783 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello, im karl, i have recently purchased an fzr 600 genesis 1988. 3HH

its history as far as i know is, its been sat in a friends garden undercover for the last 7 years.

when he last used it, it had a carb problem but it still run, he stoped using it as he needed a car,

i managed to get it for a 100quid, but it needs a complete rebuild, i have been told its an american import because its 3HH.

I dont know much about bikes at all, so im hoping by posting my rebuild on here i will get plenty of support from people who know there stuff.

here are some pics of the bike.

DSCF1923.jpg

DSCF1922.jpg

DSCF1920.jpg

DSCF1919.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Karl

I agree with Mervin..it looks like you got a good deal on that bike and for what you paid for it you can afford to spend a bit of money on it to get it working correctly.

For a bike that sat out in the weather for 7 years it is in much better shape than I would have expected. Have fun with the rebuild! :lol:

Rocky

my brother inlaw is selling an FZR1000 genesis 2GH E reg. 35000 miles, needs some work, radiator has a crack, gear lever has snapped no indicaiors on front, head cone is missing. and rear shock needs attention,taxed till end of feb MOT till august 2011, he want £350 no offeres,in kent

Welcome.

Think I have electronic copy of manuals from my 3HE - ur welcome to copy if it's any help.

Not a bad find for the money. Glad to see the nose section is in one piece, they seem to be most common bit damaged (just behind the mirrors)

k###########@hotmail.co.uk

:o

I hope your spam protection is up to speed if your putting your details in open forum, use the PM ( personal message) system.

Click on the members name and you will go to a new page, from there you can send a personal message.

so here it goes the start of the strip down, tonight im gonna take all fairings and lights off. hopefully get some pics up tomorrow.

thanks cynic, just removed post as i get enought junk mail no need for more lol

Welcome to the club !

Nice find for the money,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,good luck with the rebuild !

As suggested by MERVIN take loads and loads of photos, drawings and notes as it may be weeks before your putting it back together. Wire or cable tie parts together. I use lots of those little plastic zip bags that you can write on and and put sub-assemblies into various boxes. Plastic boxes are pretty cheap and better than cardboard which soon rots.

Good luck.

ATB

J2

HI, tonight i have done some more work on the gen, i now have the exhaust system, all fairings, lights, water bottle, clocks, petrol tank, airbox, rear foot pegs, and a few other bits all off.

I have taken lots of pictures, here are some. as you can see there is a lot of rust but luckly no holes.

I also made a little stand for the bike.

one of the nuts holding the down pipes on snaped, i oiled and was carefull. i think at some point in the past there was a problem as the nut that snaped was diffrent to all the rest.

suprised at how easy and quick it is to strip a bike, suppose cleaning all parts up will be the time consuming bit. lol

Most of the original paint on the bike has turned to powder so should be quite easy to clean up. any advise on what to use ?

was gonna cover it in hammerite kurust first but then what ?

DSCF1945.jpg

DSCF1943.jpg

DSCF1942.jpg

DSCF1941.jpg

DSCF1940.jpg

DSCF1939.jpg

DSCF1938.jpg

DSCF1935.jpg

DSCF1934.jpg

DSCF1933.jpg

DSCF1932.jpg

DSCF1931.jpg

DSCF1930.jpg

DSCF1929.jpg

DSCF1928.jpg

DSCF1927.jpg

DSCF1925.jpg

DSCF1924.jpg

theres a lot off work here hey.

think its gonna be stunning when its done.

not sure on what paint colour to go for yet, im gonna change the look a bit, by putting single round light on front with no fairing on front or sides. would like to get some straight handle bars too .

theres a lot off work here hey.

think its gonna be stunning when its done.

not sure on what paint colour to go for yet, im gonna change the look a bit, by putting single round light on front with no fairing on front or sides. would like to get some straight handle bars too .

Piece of advice, put a label on your electrical terminals to remind you where each one is connected to, saves time later. Also note the way the throttle cable etc are routed through the frame.

Expect the voltage regulator to need replaced if bike has been lying for a while, its behind that LHS rear seat panel.

Lots of FZR streetfighters about, so can get plenty of ideas from what has already been done. Popular change is to fit a seat unit off an R6 or R1 - check out topics on this forum to see pics of what i mean.

Piece of advice, put a label on your electrical terminals to remind you where each one is connected to, saves time later. Also note the way the throttle cable etc are routed through the frame.

Expect the voltage regulator to need replaced if bike has been lying for a while, its behind that LHS rear seat panel.

Lots of FZR streetfighters about, so can get plenty of ideas from what has already been done. Popular change is to fit a seat unit off an R6 or R1 - check out topics on this forum to see pics of what i mean.

Will agree with Vic on the labelling on the loom , I know it sounds stupid but have you had the engine running? its will be pain if you have done all this work and more to come to find out your engines a duffer

i go for originalty myself not into the street fighter look as you seem to have all the plastics, keep the photos coming though it will be intresting to see what your fizzer turns out like

are you painting the frame yourself , i would get everthing off to the blasters and powder coated , but that depends on your budget

Will agree with Vic on the labelling on the loom , I know it sounds stupid but have you had the engine running? its will be pain if you have done all this work and more to come to find out your engines a duffer

i go for originalty myself not into the street fighter look as you seem to have all the plastics, keep the photos coming though it will be intresting to see what your fizzer turns out like

are you painting the frame yourself , i would get everthing off to the blasters and powder coated , but that depends on your budget

Yes i was planning to paint it my self as would be cheaper, dont know any where i could get it done or how much it would cost. i suppose if its not to much i might take your advise as it would be a better job and prob last a lot longer,

i might ebay the front light and fairings to put towards pain as not need them, unless anyone on here would like them,

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online