XS400E Carbs

Aaronc
This post is 4795 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I haven't been on the forum in a while. I have been in the process of rebuilding my carbs. Everything was going ok, until I got to the main jet, which I could not figure out how to remove. The manual said it could be pushed out....I couldn't make that work. In the process of trying to get it out one of the arms that hold the float snapped. Does anyone know a place that sells whole carbs, rebuilt? I found what I think is a match on eBay, but it doesn't appear to be rebuilt. Any ideas?

I appreciate any help I can get.

Aaron

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I haven't been on the forum in a while. I have been in the process of rebuilding my carbs. Everything was going ok, until I got to the main jet, which I could not figure out how to remove. The manual said it could be pushed out....I couldn't make that work. In the process of trying to get it out one of the arms that hold the float snapped. Does anyone know a place that sells whole carbs, rebuilt? I found what I think is a match on eBay, but it doesn't appear to be rebuilt. Any ideas?

Aaron

your a plonker aaron,

the main jet falls out, yes falls out through he top of the carb. take off the diapram and needles together , undo the main jetscrew inside the carb and the emulsion tube just falls out, (i'm assuming you mean the emulsion tube)

which carb side broke?

your a plonker aaron,

the main jet falls out, yes falls out through he top of the carb. take off the diapram and needles together , undo the main jetscrew inside the carb and the emulsion tube just falls out, (i'm assuming you mean the emulsion tube)

which carb side broke?

Thanks for the reply drewpy,

Ok..let me say, I am trying to use the names that are in the manual which isn't an exact match to what was on the rebuild kit box. The Haynes Manual calls this piece "Needle Jet (main nozzle)" It says that you unscrew the main jet and push out the needle jet. There did not appear to be a head that would fit a screw driver on either side. Other than this part of the process, the rest of the rebuild was not that difficult.

Thoughts?

Oh ya...left side.

Thanks for the reply drewpy,

Ok..let me say, I am trying to use the names that are in the manual which isn't an exact match to what was on the rebuild kit box. The Haynes Manual calls this piece "Needle Jet (main nozzle)" It says that you unscrew the main jet and push out the needle jet. There did not appear to be a head that would fit a screw driver on either side. Other than this part of the process, the rest of the rebuild was not that difficult.

Thoughts?

Oh ya...left side.

yep needle jet (main nozzle) is the emulsion tube. undo the main jet with flat blade screw driver and take off the top of the carb as mentioned, and it will fall out (if you tip it upside down)

take a picture so I can see what's been done!

• 4 weeks later...

yep needle jet (main nozzle) is the emulsion tube. undo the main jet with flat blade screw driver and take off the top of the carb as mentioned, and it will fall out (if you tip it upside down)

take a picture so I can see what's been done!

Hey drewpy,

Sorry for the delay, just to explain the randomness in questions a little bit...my father in-law is helping me with the bike (at his request). He is pretty handy, but very strange...and old...and German. Long story short, I went out to take some photos the other day and the carbs had been put back together (without the new main nozzles). He insisted it would be ok, and we put it back on the bike. It seems to be working ok for the moment, but I am not getting a spark on the left side. It seems to be the coil, which is my best guess. This thing looks ancient, and I have read they can be replaced fairly easily with aftermarket coils. Is this true? Again, I appreciate any help.

Aaron

I am trying to figure out how to add a photo to this topic, and when I do, I will post a pic of the coil in question.

check contacts for pitting and gap/time the ignition.

you can run a multimeter in ohms and the coil should read 4ohms

I got my coils from here and for £13 a bargain

http://www.rexcauntracing.com/pages/htcoils.html

Aaron

http://www.mikesxs.net/products-82.html#products

XS Performance Keihin Carb Kit for XS650

i think its a Mikuni BS34 replacment. even comes with pods :P

*just noticed your running a 78. not sure if that is your carb.

but mikexs should have all the carb parts you need.

there is a shop locally to me that does nothing but rebuilding carbs

i would imagine there should be one around you as well.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online