dt 175 mod

yamahait
This post is 3108 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Bit the bullet and ordered my boost bottle and reed block with hose. Arriving 28 jan. Woohoo!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aye simon, read first post,, big jump in performance, :yeah: . Airheads a lazy fker nowadays ,,he aint fitted his,, hes a 4stroker now :thumbdown:

• Like 1

Will let you know. Might have to use cable ties until I get someone to weld the tags to frame. looking forward to result!

S.

Well kit has just passed uk customs clearance so waiting for postman!

S.

Hope it doesn't disappoint. But that boost bottle stuff was to improve bottom end torque.

If you want power from a 175 you need the later airbox and a good pipe. Still be flat out at 55.

More power..less reliability..no getting around this tradeoff I always say.

Nah only 1 think kills dt175's no way round it and kills them as sure as giving one to grouch.

Revs. They dont like it over 8k cos the piston overheats and either nips the rings or holes.

well there`s a good tip. Will keep that in mind.

Looks like its jinxed. Being held at post office buyer being informed of charges.

S.

Well picked it up from post office. Still smells of petrol. Complete with reed block bolts still got the zinc plating on them. Does nothing corrode in America?

S.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hi all wish to tell you of my experience of trying this mod to my dt and hopefully answer some peoples questions

DSC00946_zps8tkexscb.jpg?t=1433764991

as you can see it is very heavily modded bike ,you name it and i,ve done it or tried it with this bike and other dt,s ,anyways the fitment of the boost bottle was fairly straight forward,just using cable ties to secure it at the moment and had to put another jubilee clip on so it would not touch the cylinder ,don't ask about the throttle cable ,it still works but might cause others a few issues ,i would also like to add at this point i have tried various inlet rubbers from other yams dt125lc rd 350ypvs and they wont fit with out serious and pointless modding ,the one off a Yamaha Rx 100 125 135 will fit but your have trouble with the exhaust being in the way and throttle cable

DSC01491_zps6rysizgm.jpg?t=1433765396

ok so what has the boost bottle done to performance and is it worth doing, right first of ,big yes, especially if you have ever done any modding like changing the exhaust front pipe ,porting ,at the moment i have a rd350ypvs carb with a separate mikuni power jet fitted with the original needle from my dt 175mx so i can try and get the bottom end jetting right ,the bike would gas and fart at low rpms and when you whacked on the throttle it was to rich , when i fitted the boost bottle it was a massive improvement to my low and mid range riding , it felt a bit lean at first in the mid range, so i made it richer on the needle which was a big no no before and runs even better now, when you ride it fast and let the throttle off there's no more coughing and spluttering ,it feels really neutral,like the engines turned off or some ones put there hand over the end of carb ,and when you whack the throttle on ,it picks up straight away , i would say if your have issues with you low and mid-range and can for the love of money get you needle right then this is well worth a try ,i would also like to add ,a couple of months ago before i fitted the boost bottle i changed my older style fiber reed petals to the newer carbon fiber ones ,there great,my bike before all ways ran like it had an air leak until i changed to carbon fiber ones

DSC01492_zpsadmflsvb.jpg?t=1433765396

• Like 1

Looks superb . :yeah:. What does that boost bottle actually do ? And how does the clutch stand up, this where the next upgrade Is usually

Did you not find those forks really limited the bike.

I fitted a set then went back to the originals. The loss of turning circle and the twitchy ride off road was not worth it.

I would suggest that the original forks be put in the skip still attached the bike ,,no only joking ,the dt 125r forks are way better than the standard ones ,the dampening is way better and the best part of changing the forks is the front disc brake, you can stop now which is what I wanted to achieve, I will admit to loss of steering lock but only really need that for parking ,I did find that changing the rear tyre too a fatter one has made it a bit unnerving at times.