SR 125 Wont Start

Joffie
This post is 4828 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

SR 125 Longevity  

1. 1. Can a Yammie SR 125 live forever?

• No way mate. They're trash after 29,000 miles
    • Well, if you pick and mix enough parts they might outlast you
    • Correctly maintained, this learners bike has no built-in weaknesses whatsoever

OK so i admit I was skimping on gaskets last time I had the engine off for repairs. I used Hylomar Blue becuase I couldn't afford a cylinder base gasket back then and it seemed to work OK. Except the engine was always very oily and I was getting through a lot of oil between regular changes.

So I made a note to replace gaskets at the earliest opportunity, and wh-hey, that was last weekend. OK so i have to admit that buying Chinese paper gaskets in a set was - well - a little cheapskate, but hey, better than nowt. Having stripped down all the cylinder, head and base and scraped the remains of shower sealant i mean Hylomar Blue off all the surfaces I carefully fitted my new seals, being careful to oil up the surfaces first, etc. etc.

I was quite surprised that the "Head" gasket in my pack, looked like a filter off a vacuum cleaner. No matter, I removed the metal head gasket made in Japan and replaced it with the hoover version.

Done a real oil change, checket the tappets and went for a test run. Magnificent. Better still, i got another couple of mph top end and when I got in that evening, I was really pleased that the engine actully looks clean for once.

Now, after a week or so of riding I takes her out again this weekend just past and, lo and behold, accelerating down a slipway onto the 'parkway' = big ring road in Peterborough, she misfires and the engine just died. So I walked back home saturday afternoon enjoying the network of dedicated cycle paths in environment city, sweating my bollocks off like I was yomping in full scuba gear across a cove in enemy territory. Well got home OK.

DIAGNOSIS

My first thought was a slipped timing chain --- i was dreading a dropped valve. Anyway, I looked and it all seems hunkydory including the sparks. This makes me wonder if the sound ---what I thought was engine misfire --- was actually the paper head gasket going. Yes I know you're supposed to do a compression test first off, but (I know this sounds pathetic) I haven't got a tester.

APPEAL FOR INPUT

Can anybody please advise..... on

A)How to make a compression tester. I presume one might be able to drill through an old spark plug and attach a guage off of a cheap Chinese footpump to rig something up? Any help gratefully appreciated.

B)Whether the gasket is the likely cause of my failure to go, and

C)Where a man can get a good job and move on up....

SR 125 lol

Thanks

:-)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just take it to your local under the arches type of car repair shop, tell tham you are a poor student and need it for uni, they will test it for a packet of fags ;)

Good idea I suppose.

D'you know, originally I thought you came from a place called "Oldington," hence the name. Suppose I should learn to read.

Anyway, thanks for the attention.

A = Compression tester is only about 30quid,,,,,,,you will have it forever and for all bikes

B = There will be loud hissing and squeeking if the gasket is gone,,,,,,,,shouldnt really stop the bike from starting

C = Good luck finding the job in this fu..ing economy !

Good idea I suppose.

D'you know, originally I thought you came from a place called "Oldington," hence the name. Suppose I should learn to read.

Anyway, thanks for the attention.

should have gone to specsavers :P

speaking of where we live if you filled in your profile properly with where you are someone will nip round and test it for you :rolleyes: