Hi from a total noob

tomo_
This post is 4685 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All

I'm new to this forum and motor bikes in general - driven a few on various holidays and loved it, but that about sums up my experience. I'm 40 years old and fed up with commuting by bus/train into central London, recent increases in ticket prices have made me think - why don't I just get a 125 and drive in myself? I will save money and it will be quicker - and no doubt more reliable.

Any tips or pointers much appreciated. I haven't bought a bike yet, looking to do that over the coming weeks. I've been looking at DT125s or maybe a WR125 supermoto, but the cheaper the better to start with I think, just in case I end up not liking it - who knows. I'm a big bloke (6'7") so that might be something to consider.

Any advice much appreciated! Many thanks in advance :thumb:

tomo

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Tomo, and welcome to the forum B)

Get a DT125R. :P( this is a very biased opinion and should be taken as such)

From what i hear the more economical bikes are the likes of the CG125, YBR125, CB125 Etc, but i don't think they will fit your size very well , I think your in the right area with a high up enduro style bike. There is the cruiser style bikes also, but i have never ridden one so can't really comment for size etc, A few members here own/have owned them so are able to comment with something useful i'm sure.

IMO The DTs being 2-strokes will require a little more general maintenance than a 4-stroke like the WR. But will probably be cheaper when something goes wrong because they are a simpler machine and have less to go wrong/replace when it does. Also a 2-stoke will use slightly more fuel as they like to be revved high, well my DT does.

I think you need to get out and try a few bikes for size and feel before making a decision.

HTH

Vez.

Get round some bike shops and sit on and try them, could be some good deals around as this years models come on stream. Dont forget to haggle, haggle, haggle, if your new you'll want helmet/gloves/boots etc. If you see a bike you like, ask if they'll throw in the gear or discount it.

Good luck

Welcome tomo, the DTR will fit you ok or possibly its modern day inferior replacement the XT125.

Take care and do all the training, London traffic takes no prisoners eh

Thanks oldgitonabike! I am sensing a definite lean towards the DTR here :), but I reckon I will probably only ever use this on the road so maybe the wr125x is the way to go for me. I still haven't got my head round which is best - 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I hear pros and cons of each but the impression I get is that for a noob like me 4 stroke will be easier - is that the right impression?

I'll do the CBT before I start driving whichever bike I end up getting on the roads, then I'll get used to it before I start commuting through the depths of southeast london.

cheers

tomo

Welcome friend .... I recently bought a WR125X ... Absolutely beautiful bike, tall seating for you as u said your a taller bloke and its a good first learner :P

If u need any more advice, dont hesitate to ask.

Josh

Thanks chaps :) Should be getting the money in my account tomorrow, so bike shopping this week. Having trouble finding a big enough helmet to fit on my suede though! lol

just got the right helmet for you

174617_155000432334_1189908_n.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hey tomo,

Ive got the WR125X and its a great bike.

Im 5'10" and I feel like I need to get some higher handle bars so probably going to invest in some renthal bars.

The bike as a whole is really great though, I can't fault it yet.

Hey tomo,

Ive got the WR125X and its a great bike.

Im 5'10" and I feel like I need to get some higher handle bars so probably going to invest in some renthal bars.

The bike as a whole is really great though, I can't fault it yet.

Have a look at the Paris Dakar Renthal handlebars, I put some on my Rieju, and will be finding some for my DT as well, being a gnats willy off 6'5" myself I found that I was riding hunched over the handlebars, until I put the Paris Dakars on, which changed my riding position no end, not only are they a little higher, they are slightly wider too, the only problem I had was I had to change the clutch cable to a universal longer cable, as the original one was about 4" too short, hope this helps.

I don't have any comments on the bikes but reading this thread, boy do I feel short!!!!!!!!

I did many years commuting in London and it isn't too bad once you get used to it. I do miss the traffic light races.

Welcome to the forum.

What channel is the beach volleyball on, you kept that quiet, m8 <_<

What channel is the beach volleyball on, you kept that quiet, m8 <_<

You wouldn't like it BWJ. It is full of scantily dressed, tanned, Aussie girls bouncing all over the place. Shocking!

• 1 month later...

Hi may be to late as you may have bought a bike but i've bought a WR125 and find it plenty tall enough for me at 6ft. I got mine a month ago CMC in Cannock were doing some 2010 models £1k cheaper registered as 11 plates and no miles on the clock with two years warranty. Worth a look if you arn't sorted they do have branches elsewhere need to look at their site. Very happy as it seems a bit more of a adults bike for a 125. I'm 44 looking to take my bike test next year.