More Driving aids to come to motorbikes

Vez
This post is 4837 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

"Mira engineers outfitted a Yamaha Tenere and a Triumph Sprint with the safety systems so they could be tried out on a test track.

The systems include laser scanners, haptic handles and gloves, a vibrating seat, lights, smart helmet-cameras and radar as well as a pannier full of the electronics that analyse data gathered by the sensors and pump out warnings."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-12266406

Interesting read imo.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Absolute fucking bollocks.

Cars don't need all this shit, so why do we?

Most of this can be discarded in favour of riding properly, like they teach you on the training courses.

"Motorbike collision detection systems developed by Mira warn a rider about an imminent impact and let them take action by slowing down sharply or, in the case of a vehicle travelling in the same direction as the bike, following it while slowing".

In other words, it applies the brakes... Feck sake. I'm sure I remember being taught that one!!

"Vehicles behind or to one side of a bike can be hard to spot because the helmet restricts visibility and riders must remember to move their head regularly to check".

Yep, we are taught to do that too....

So basically, all responsibility for rider ability is being waived in favour of reliance on expensive electronics that can fail..... Good to know. I'll go crash, kill some kids and then sue the bike company for the failure of their product. Such lawsuits, combined with the rising costs of tests and bikes will soon see motorcycles completely off the roads. Congratulations safety people. Now, how to get rid of vans, trucks and cyclists.......

Cant see it myself either. Just another angle on bike bashing.

I'd be interested to know about these fatalities, just how many of em were the bikes fault. Were never told that bit are we.

hear hear ,another one is indicators,

who the fuck thought that one up;

what a pile of shite

you put them one turn the corner ,you carry on on your merry way indicator still flashing ,

pissing everyone off ,behind you.

you never forgot to bring your arm down ,did you, so why change it.

yamaha tried back in the eightys with the self canceling jobbie,

then what,,, the tossers stopped doing them

why,,,,cost ,,yea keeping cost down,, what a load of old balls.

too many failures and sueing going on thats why..

end of rant.:) kev.

Didn't really have a good read before posting, but thought it looked interesting all the same.

I have to agree with everything said, I'm against most of the ideas currently being tested.

But I don't think its just bikers that need to worry. Alot of what is being tested by mira for bikes is already in use on some new cars, the auto braking feature when following a car too close, the radars for overtaking,reversing etc to name but 2. ( not to mention ABS, i wonder how many new drivers know how to brake hard properly without intervention)

You only have too read about the cars currently being tested that have drove 4000miles(iirc) without the need for human interaction (i.e fully automated) to be worried. Its this vision that is going to cause bikes to be targeted even more, i can't imagine there is any place in a fully automated highway for bikes controlled by us mere humans.

I must admit i do like the idea of this part.

"We put a motor in the cheek pad of the helmet so if you do not notice the object it will vibrate and give you a tactile warning that there's something to the right or left,"

Not so much for the road or general use, but it would be a great learning aide for beginners, especially if you up it too a shock instead of a vibration, for the reason that the times i follow bikes and scooters and you never see them perform a single lifesaver is becoming too frequent. A couple of electric shocks during the CBT/lessons would maybe change that. Maybe an adaptation for car drivers, that makes sure they check for bikes would be nice.

On further thought, putting all this on cars maybe not be such a bad thing for bike awareness, in fact fully automate the lot of em, but leave my bike alone.

"Mira engineers outfitted a Yamaha Tenere and a Triumph Sprint with the safety systems so they could be tried out on a test track.

The systems include laser scanners, haptic handles and gloves, a vibrating seat, lights, smart helmet-cameras and radar as well as a pannier full of the electronics that analyse data gathered by the sensors and pump out warnings."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-12266406

Interesting read imo.

Unworkable and unsafe. Would the vibrating pad work down the front of my jeans when the laser detected an atractive young lady?

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

The people that come up with these things,,,,,,,,they should be draged along the tarmac.

There the nob heads that would love to put us bikers off the road !

And try to make money doing it.

It only takes one Gobshite in the RSA, (to listen to these people saying that we cant drive on our own), and next thing they'll be saying bikes are dangerous and should be baned.

We bikers should get togeather and make out loads of reports stating that bike riders are far better drivers that cage drivers. The first thing that should go into these reports is,,,,,,,,,,

Bike riders are far more aware of what is happening on the roads than cage drivers.

By the time MIRA or any other 'government funded leaches' get this technology up and running effectively the oil will have run out and we'll all be riding around on/in electric vehicles-this is where this stuff is headed-they aint gonna 'retro-fit' our beloved bikes in the meantime-nowt to worry aboot :D

From MAG

Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 4:30 PM

Subject: [mag-uk-nc-list] Fwd: Motorbikes 'to get safe driving aids' -

BBCNews

> This pooped up from our political monitoring service today.

>

> I've had a look at the news sections on the MIRA and Saferider websites

> but can't see anything new that would have prompted BBC so it may just

> be filler.

>

> I attended a presentation about the Saferider findings last November,

> there is a final report due that spells out which of the technologies

> tested are likely to be developed and over what time-frame.

>

> The conclusions of the November conference was that very few of the

> 'safety' systems could be developed quickly, many would take 10 plus

> years if at all so I believe the qoute from MIRA about some systems

> being developed in 18 months should be taken with a pinch of salt - the

> comments probably refer to the fairly predictable navigation,

> communications and entertainment systems that the project looked at.

>

> The idea of putting strain on the throttle cable to warn a rider when

> they exceed the speed limit is not mentioned in the BBC report and at

> the November presentation it was said that this 'force feedback throtle'

> system had failed to prove to be worthwhile. The 'haptic handle'

> referred to in the BBC item is a device mounted to the throttle handle

> which casues a rippling feel under the riders hand, it does not close

> the throttle either.

>

> You can see the BBC story online

> <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12266406#story_continues_1>

> here are weblinks for MIRA