Help - aftermarket exhausts for XVS650 Drag Star

Backon2wheels
This post is 4743 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As you will have seen in my previous note, I bought an 02 XVS 650 Drag Star on Saturday and whilst it hasnt even been delieverd yet (roll on Thursday)I'm already thinking about some modifications, especially upgrading the exhausts. I saw some videos on uTube where the sound was wonderful, but I dont want to get pulled by the police every 20 minutes.

So ideally, I'm looking for the best exhausts which I can fit which are still road legal, and by best I obviously mean the loudest / deepest sounding.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Many thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Good man :)

Right, well I have some custom turn downs on mine - fitted them last summer. I can't remember where I ordered them from, perhaps custom cruisers (.com)? They are VERY LOUD... I know every custom rider thinks their bike is loud, but even down at the Ace, she is considered loud - and on some days, shes the loudest thing there.

The bike has passed an MOT with those pipes on, although the advisory states the exhaust is loud - the place I go MOTs Harleys, and they didn't blink twice about it - the guidelines state that the bike should have exhausts and exhaust noise that are appropriate for other bikes of that type - something like that, but others on here can give you the specific wording.

I use my bike a lot, never had any issues with the police (not saying you won't / will etc). In fact a lot of the time you get "the nod" of appreciation from the MC police and a little smile :)

Pics;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hamlesh/sets/72157624064656546/with/4608242117/

Oh, one thing to note though, I had to fabricate some brakets, as the rear mount points didn't line up with the exhausts correctly. Those broke recently, and just this weekend we welded some new, much stronger ones, up - ready for this years mad euro trip :)

Good man :)

Right, well I have some custom turn downs on mine - fitted them last summer. I can't remember where I ordered them from, perhaps custom cruisers (.com)? They are VERY LOUD... I know every custom rider thinks their bike is loud, but even down at the Ace, she is considered loud - and on some days, shes the loudest thing there.

The bike has passed an MOT with those pipes on, although the advisory states the exhaust is loud - the place I go MOTs Harleys, and they didn't blink twice about it - the guidelines state that the bike should have exhausts and exhaust noise that are appropriate for other bikes of that type - something like that, but others on here can give you the specific wording.

I use my bike a lot, never had any issues with the police (not saying you won't / will etc). In fact a lot of the time you get "the nod" of appreciation from the MC police and a little smile :)

Pics;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hamlesh/sets/72157624064656546/with/4608242117/

Oh, one thing to note though, I had to fabricate some brakets, as the rear mount points didn't line up with the exhausts correctly. Those broke recently, and just this weekend we welded some new, much stronger ones, up - ready for this years mad euro trip :)

i got the same on mine, lovely sound on em :-)

i got the same on mine, lovely sound on em :-)

I need to do a decent HD pan shoot of the bike with a decent mic - might borrow my mates 5d mk2, that would give the youtubers something to drool over ;)

Many thanks. I found them on customcruisers.com as suggested.

My bike arrives tomorrow but just had to sort the tax, insurance, etc out today so might be next month before I can look at the pipes. I know where to look now though :)

Cheers

Well bikes here now - hooray.

One more question though. How diffuclt are these new pipes to fit. The description says something like slide on but I would imagine it's not quite as simple as that. Hamlesh mentioned that he had to fabricate some new brackets so I appreciate this may be necessary but other than that is there any particular tools or skills required to swap these.

Many thanks again!

Which ones were you looking to get? Daisy cutter / turn downs or the Jardine "slip on" type?

With the turn downs, you need to completely remove the stock exhaust, all you need to that is a socket set/spanners / standard tools - BUT BE CAREFUL - depending on the age of your bike, your exhaust bolts and manifold might be rusted, you DO NOT want the pain of snapped exhaust bolts.

If you aren't 100% comfortable fitting them yourself, my advise is to get a garage to fit them - less heartache all around!

H

I was looking at these from custom cruisers

Yamaha XVS650 Exhaust JardineTurnout Slip-on Ex. Vat £293.62 Inc. Vat £352.34

Jardine Slip-on Turnout Exhaust 650 V-Star

NO NEED TO RE-JET!

Every Jardine system is painstakingly made to exacting tolerances by skilled craftsmen utilizing the latest techniques. After manufacture, the pipes are polished to perfection, before finally receiving a heavy deposit of electroplated nickel and chromium to give ultimate finish and corrosion resistance.

Jardine exhaust systems are designed for easy bolt-on performance. Jardine RUMBLER, that classic look combined with a great throaty sound.

Includes full rear headpipe, partial front headpipe and full coverage heatshields.

This item fits XVS650 Dragstar / V-Star Classic and Custom '04 & Up

the guidelines state that the bike should have exhausts and exhaust noise that are appropriate for other bikes of that type - something like that, but others on here can give you the specific wording.

Very dangerous ground is exhaust noise, you are refering to council regulations. The MOT stuff is different and if you have a pet dealer i'd keep that info very quiet as they may get some stick from the mot man.

Here is some MAG specific info

I need to do a decent HD pan shoot of the bike with a decent mic - might borrow my mates 5d mk2, that would give the youtubers something to drool over ;)

deffo man! :)

just wondering, have you ever had any mot probs with the loud pipes? as i was just told by a garage they may fail mine cos of em..

Very dangerous ground is exhaust noise, you are refering to council regulations. The MOT stuff is different and if you have a pet dealer i'd keep that info very quiet as they may get some stick from the mot man.

Here is some MAG specific info

deffo man! :)

just wondering, have you ever had any mot probs with the loud pipes? as i was just told by a garage they may fail mine cos of em..

Common theme here.

I have had the noise mentioned before by the fellows that do mine but its too old for the rules to matter. It is totally at the discretion of the tester. If he had a barney with the kids before he left the house, bad traffic your busted. Its why everybody 'should'hang on to their stock pipes for the man....

Common theme here.

I have had the noise mentioned before by the fellows that do mine but its too old for the rules to matter. It is totally at the discretion of the tester. If he had a barney with the kids before he left the house, bad traffic your busted. Its why everybody 'should'hang on to their stock pipes for the man....

good advise there mate

i do have some not so loud pipes but will have to get the bike rejetted if i fit em.. :mellow:

IGNORE anyone who says not to re-jet.

Many riders tell me there's no need to re-jet. EVERY SINGLE (and almost every married :lol:) mechanic I have ever known insists you should re-jet. Who ya gonna believe....

Slip-on types mean you retain the original pipes and just swap the silencers/mufflers/end-cans/big bits at the back.

As mentioned, you may need to jury rig some brackets.

I've also turned to the dark side and chosen to get some FECK-OFF LOUD pipes on my Dragstar... Most of that is the cost of a replacement OEM downpipe after some feckwitt reversed into mine.

But yeah, I'll let you know how it goes and maybe even post my findings.

NOTE: My pipes will still have removable baffles to make them nice and quiet and I might even get a tunable baffle for added fun....

IGNORE anyone who says not to re-jet.

Many riders tell me there's no need to re-jet. EVERY SINGLE (and almost every married :lol:) mechanic I have ever known insists you should re-jet. Who ya gonna believe....

Slip-on types mean you retain the original pipes and just swap the silencers/mufflers/end-cans/big bits at the back.

As mentioned, you may need to jury rig some brackets.

I've also turned to the dark side and chosen to get some FECK-OFF LOUD pipes on my Dragstar... Most of that is the cost of a replacement OEM downpipe after some feckwitt reversed into mine.

But yeah, I'll let you know how it goes and maybe even post my findings.

NOTE: My pipes will still have removable baffles to make them nice and quiet and I might even get a tunable baffle for added fun....

i'm thinkng getting mine rejetted any way just in case (as i'm experiencing some odd lack of power now and then which i read may be down to the rejet gong out slightly..?), but have been told a rolling road might be in order to get the best results, you have any experience on that part..?

btw, good man on the loud feckng pipes, love em! :)

Most mechanics seem able to calculate what jet size you need and just fit them straight. Rolling road might help, but it will cost and a Draggie ain't exactly a high performance bike, is it...

I'm not a fan of having loud pipes and my neighbours love me for it... But since a whole new system costs half that of one single fecking OEM downpipe, I'm going with the noise and dampening it down some.

I'm going for the Caligula pipes, kinda like the ones Elvira had, but straight rather than curved.

Most mechanics seem able to calculate what jet size you need and just fit them straight. Rolling road might help, but it will cost and a Draggie ain't exactly a high performance bike, is it...

I'm not a fan of having loud pipes and my neighbours love me for it... But since a whole new system costs half that of one single fecking OEM downpipe, I'm going with the noise and dampening it down some.

I'm going for the Caligula pipes, kinda like the ones Elvira had, but straight rather than curved.

thanks for the words of wisdom man

please do keep posting about your exhuast project, am very interested as i'm sure all newbie dragstar owners are

I don't know if I'd class this as a project so much... But I'll try and pad it out some for you. It will be something like this:

Phase 1:

- Have parked bike get hit by vehicle, who hits and runs as they know you're not home.

- Arrive home to find damage. Swear and curse. Check bike to find it still runs fine.

- Continue riding throughout Winter, oblivious to the fact that rust is developing on inside of heat shield.

- Have heat shield rust off and drop off bike 'somewhere' along a motorway. M25 is good, as is the M6. Stop at motorway services and suddenly see damage.

- Phone up to find how much a replacement downpipe is. Swear and curse when you hear how much!

- Order much cheaper entire system.

Phase 2:

- Take old ones off.

- Put new ones on.

- Start bike up.

- Ride.

Phase 3:

- Ride over to mechanic mate's house.

- Sit around while he looks at pipes and figures out which jets you need.

- Go buy jets from m/c parts shop.

- Sit around while mechanic mate fits new jets, cleans carbs out and does a couple other little "oh, while you're there" jobs.

- Sit around with mechanic mate while availing yourself of his wife's valet services.

- Pay mechanic mate some of that papery stuff he likes so much.

- Ride home/out/somewhere and enjoy.

Alternatively, all phases can be completed by yourself if you feel like it. I'm currently finalising Phase 1, just waiting for PayPal to finish fecking about with updating my account balance.

I don't know if I'd class this as a project so much... But I'll try and pad it out some for you. It will be something like this:

Phase 1:

- Have parked bike get hit by vehicle, who hits and runs as they know you're not home.

- Arrive home to find damage. Swear and curse. Check bike to find it still runs fine.

- Continue riding throughout Winter, oblivious to the fact that rust is developing on inside of heat shield.

- Have heat shield rust off and drop off bike 'somewhere' along a motorway. M25 is good, as is the M6. Stop at motorway services and suddenly see damage.

- Phone up to find how much a replacement downpipe is. Swear and curse when you hear how much!

- Order much cheaper entire system.

Phase 2:

- Take old ones off.

- Put new ones on.

- Start bike up.

- Ride.

Phase 3:

- Ride over to mechanic mate's house.

- Sit around while he looks at pipes and figures out which jets you need.

- Go buy jets from m/c parts shop.

- Sit around while mechanic mate fits new jets, cleans carbs out and does a couple other little "oh, while you're there" jobs.

- Sit around with mechanic mate while availing yourself of his wife's valet services.

- Pay mechanic mate some of that papery stuff he likes so much.

- Ride home/out/somewhere and enjoy.

Alternatively, all phases can be completed by yourself if you feel like it. I'm currently finalising Phase 1, just waiting for PayPal to finish fecking about with updating my account balance.

this sir, is genius! :lol: