poorly XV535

grinning biker
This post is 4830 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I have a XV535 (yamaha virago) 91 plate and i bought it a few weeks ago.

I got it thru MOT and then stored it in my hubby's van for a few nights then when i got it out i stored it in the garden for 2-3 nights and went out every day to let it tick over for a few minutes but it smelt very strong of exhaust fumes.

On day 3 i put fresh fuel in and revved it about 4 times (off choke), every time i released the rev it was puffing out white/silver smoke then on the 4-5th rev it seemed to stop dead and went pop

I have had a mate take starter motor off and that is fine.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be??

I have been told that this might be pistons or something?

If this is the case does anyone know where i can get it fixed pretty cheap please

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

I have a XV535 (yamaha virago) 91 plate and i bought it a few weeks ago.

I got it thru MOT and then stored it in my hubby's van for a few nights then when i got it out i stored it in the garden for 2-3 nights and went out every day to let it tick over for a few minutes but it smelt very strong of exhaust fumes.

On day 3 i put fresh fuel in and revved it about 4 times (off choke), every time i released the rev it was puffing out white/silver smoke then on the 4-5th rev it seemed to stop dead and went pop

I have had a mate take starter motor off and that is fine.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be??

I have been told that this might be pistons or something?

If this is the case does anyone know where i can get it fixed pretty cheap please

it could be because the bike as been laid up for some time that it is just condestation hence the white smoke if it will run can you take it for a good run and get up to running temp,then see if you still have white smoke

when you say pop was it from the exhaust or the carbs or was the pop more like a bang from the engine,

just read your post again and i presume that it wont start if someone has looked at your starter motor, hope its not seized , think you need to do compression test if possible and report back

Will the engine still turn over with the starter motor ? ( meaning is the engine free & not stiff or seized ? ) I dont know what popped ??

If it turns over , It may still not have enough power to start, I would give the battery a good charge , as being left out & just starting for a few mins every day , especialy when it's very cold, could 1 drain

the battery & 2, with not getting it to full operating temperature it will draw moisture in, condensation & this is the steam ( not smoke )

that you are seeing . If the bike has a sight glass for checking oil level you may see evidence of this , like milky water in the oil

If it does start warm it up & give it a good long run like, FZR said to boil off any moisture & it should be ok, smokewise ? :mellow:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online