DT175MX Jack-Up

2Smoke
This post is 4825 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi!

Well my DT clan is progressing well, got the blue one on the road and the Mrs is enjoying the experience of falling off it lots. I got a spare motor for mine at a bargain price, so that has gone under the porting tools eye. Got a spare carb off a 350LC to try on it, so some fun to be had with the jetting ahoy!

Anyway, My main problem seems to be with the 32 year old (same age as me.. neat) suspension. Bottoming out is part and parcel with even the smallest of jumps! I've been looking at ways round this and have seen a fair few jack-up kits on the Bay of E, but am reluctant to pay £30odd for something that I'd look at and make myself anyway..

I can see how the front kit works, but am puzzled on how the rear does its stuff. Can anyone shed some light please? I'd be able to figure out my own kit then.

I do have a rebuilt shock but even that is too soft! Any other chocks that fit?

I got an early set of dt125lc (drum braked) forks in the shed, is it worth fitting these once the rear has been jacked up?

Cheers!

Paul

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

As far as I can see, the jack-up kits just basically slap a big spacer in between the shock and it's mounting point. That would lift the bike, but I reckon the travel would stay the same as would the spring rate.

If you can't stiffen things up enough (ooer!) by twiddling the preload, then I'd say you'd be better off talking to the bods over at Hagon about uprated springs.

Just my £0.02 worth.

I don't think that would work as the shock has and 'eye' either end to mount to. Thats what I'm struggling with really..

Blimey! I've just the destructions on this kit - Ebay clicky link - it looks like you fit the spacer in the shock itself between the spring and the top mounting eye. Result is a jacked-up back end but the spring still travels the same length (although they say to chop an inch off the bump stop bumper, so that would gain a bit), no change in spring rate so no improvement to your problem.

I would go down the stiffer spring route.

Pete is right, you need to adjust the preload, remove the locking screw and turn the collar. Jack up kit is precicely that...it will give more ground clearance and done front and back could be desireable off road, it will however still bottom out unless you lose some weight or adjust preload or both ;)

Not sure, came with a load of bits. Fairly easy to do I'm just trying to get some valves from work then can re-gas the blue DT's shock..

Will get a pic later

:)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online