Tyres, Compounds and stuff?

wild foamy
This post is 4842 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey peeps

after leaving the XJ for many months sat in the car park on itsforks with no front wheel, i have finally bought a new tyre for it, its a Continental.

and after many cups of tea, lots of shouting and swearing and a few tyre levers me and my dad managed to get the old michelin pilot sporty off and this new continental on, but what a fight it put up!

the michelin was soft and squishy, and putting that on didnt take half as long as this new tyre did, the continental is much stiffer and appears to be made of a harder compound.

my question is this, how would this new harder tyre affect handling, tyre life e.t.c

HERE is the tyre i got, TK11

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Its gonna squirm a bit in the wet Foamer if its a harder compound, it might just be sealing/mould release wax thats on the surface making it feel hard, once this is scrubbed off you'll get to the raw rubber, go very easy with it for the first 200 miles, the XJ club have tried all sorts of tyre on these bikes and the BridgestoneBT45 is rated the best for grip and long mileage, let us know in the summer how you rate it

Cheers BWJ, i think generally its just a harder compound and a thicker tyre, getting it on the rim was harder than it was with the sporty, and now its on there the front wheel is definately heavier

Just had a look at your link-at that price you cant grumble :)

Depends where/how you're riding. I ride a lot in the city, fast paced, accelerate/stop over and over and over. For this, I put conti's on my bike. I think they are continental road attacks. For the first 150 odd miles i hated them. Then, as barky explains, they get nice and softer and now they stick to the road like flies stick to shit.

Give it a fair few miles with em, see how you feel. If they suit your style of riding obviously, keep them, if not it's worth changing them soon (ish). Ain't never gonna be happy with the wrong tyres!

Chris

Well, epic blunder on my part

put the tyre on backwards didnt i :/, oh well, will remedy that tomorrow... then hopefully at the weekend take it for a good blast :D

Tyre on backwards :o are ya gonna reverse everywhere :P

As said, take it handy when your out for your "good blast" or she will slip from underneath ya !

Its very much worth getting the front wheel Ballanced aswell.

Tyre has now been put on the correct way, took it out for a good blast to didcot without incident, forgot how good it feels XD

working on a pannier rack to mount on the back for a bit of touring action... hmm...

I have the same problem as foamy, got Bridgestone BT45 on back B) but on the front i have a Metzeler NU33 Laser. I can run from maidstone down to ashford via M20, exit slip road and where they have made repairs in small sections it tries to throw me into the bushes. So by the sound of it i need to replenish the front with a Bridgestone, how do they perform in the wet ?

Could this be the tyre 'tracking' into the 'transition strips' on the road?, if there are a lot of patches there then its probably whats happening and lots of mimi-cambers, the XJ club have tried out lots of tyres and combinations, there probably are tyres out there that perform as good or better than the BT45- I dont have the money to experiment so I stick with them :)

Tyre has now been put on the correct way, took it out for a good blast to didcot without incident, forgot how good it feels XD

working on a pannier rack to mount on the back for a bit of touring action... hmm...

Have a look at Renntecs stuff Foamy-reasonably priced and well made, here's some engine bars in their 'clearance section', they have rear racks that have bars to attach panniers to B)

http://www.renntec.co.uk/product1057.html

Could this be the tyre 'tracking' into the 'transition strips' on the road?, if there are a lot of patches there then its probably whats happening and lots of mimi-cambers, the XJ club have tried out lots of tyres and combinations, there probably are tyres out there that perform as good or better than the BT45- I dont have the money to experiment so I stick with them :)

No mate, pretty sure its the tyre compound............... even just rolling into a roundabout it feels a bit unstable :angry:

The back feels quite firm, its the front that breaks away with no effort at all. :huh:

i have to say the continental doesnt actually feel that bad now ive given at a hundred or so miles to break in, still not the same feeling as the michelin sporty, though... the back tyre needs replacing soon aswell as it tends to skip over white lines in the road and tread is only just legal.

Cheers for that Renntec link aswell, ive been looking for some of those engine bars but they are on ebay for £50+,

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online