Help with XVS 125 Exhaust Drill Mod (to make louder)

Nickybwild
This post is 4850 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all!

Hope you are all well and had a great Xmas and New Years!!

Just wanted to start a thread about an exhaust mod that I have heard about for the XVS 125. Apparently if you drill 3-8 holes through the black part of the end cans, it creates a louder/deeper sound?

Has anyone tried this or have any experience on this area? I found a good picture of a virago 650 that had this mod done to it, but can't seem to find any instructions, pictures or diagrams on how to do it to the xvs125.

Is it possible/worth it? If so, how many holes should I drill? How big should they be and how deep should they go?

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to help.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all!!!!!!!! :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It has been done quite often.

It would have been a 650 Dragstar you saw, or a Virago 535. Either way, the method is the same.

Drill however many holes you want, 6-10mm should do it. Go deep enough just to make the holes.

Some create two complete crescents around the exit pipe.

Personally, I don't think it does much to the sound of a 125.

It's a bit louder, but not neccesarily better sound - nothing like a 650, an 1100 or a big 1900 and it will sound pissy next to a Harley.

I advise against it as it is not street-legal and can lower the resale value of your bike.

It may also affect your performance.

Choice is yours.

It has been done quite often.

It would have been a 650 Dragstar you saw, or a Virago 535. Either way, the method is the same.

Drill however many holes you want, 6-10mm should do it. Go deep enough just to make the holes.

Some create two complete crescents around the exit pipe.

Personally, I don't think it does much to the sound of a 125.

It's a bit louder, but not neccesarily better sound - nothing like a 650, an 1100 or a big 1900 and it will sound pissy next to a Harley.

I advise against it as it is not street-legal and can lower the resale value of your bike.

It may also affect your performance.

Choice is yours.

its stupid to drill exhaust as it will rust quicker sound silly n prob loose power as exhust works on pressure n realiesing pressure is not good. would reccomend bigger sound bigger bike, i have smaller bike for years n tried same thing, it sounds better as is hopes helps

As much as I respect Ttaskmasters opinion - I'd say "DO IT!"

I did it on my old 650 and just squeezed as many holes in as possible at 10mm diameter each - but use your judgement on hole size relative to the exhaust pipe size and hole pattern on what you think will look good.

On the 650 there are two baffle plates about 10mm apart - if this is the same on the 125 then make sure you go through both or it won't do anything at all.

If you're unsure you could always see if you can get hold of a secondhand set of pipes so you've still got a pair in original condition - although it shouldn't be too hard to weld a bit of plate over the holes if you don't like it...

iv always said get a new exhaust for the mot then mod the old one, if you use a 6mm drill bit and do 5 holes in each end plate, you can get hold of some 6mm bolts to put in the holes for the mot (if you dont buy a new exhaust) but it depends on your mechanic if it gets passed or not, as to the sound.......you will defo notice it! it will sound good till you hit higher rpm then itl sound a bit ....well canny is the best word to describe it. but yeah good luck m8

Any loss of back pressure will reduce fuel mileage. Take away enough and you'll need to re-jet(like completely gutted and slash cut).

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online