OK... I'm New

40MILERUN
This post is 4856 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Name is Ross. I like steel... machining, forging, welding, shaping, etc.

1st bike: ’79 Yam 650 twin (30 years ago)

Current bike: ’07 Yam V*1300 Raven (with a mod or two)

Father of 4. My youngest daughter (17y/o) is into Steam Punk Bobbers (google ‘em) and keeps me busy fabricating add-ons & modifying small cc metric cruisers… makes for a lot of quality father/daughter time, except she’s learning words she shouldn’t and scaring the boys away.

We’ve got six inches of snow and it’s damn cold, which probably explains why I’m here half way through my second pint texting strangers.

Everyone have a good day… solute.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I did google those and realized way to late I shold have done this at 3: 30 in the morning and NOT when he is up and around. Now I have the nice task of steering his mind back to where it should be his FJ....lol

They do look different

Nice bike you have there.

Welcome to the 'ward' Ross :blink: , great forum hope you enjoy your stay B)

nice bike

Welcome mate. Hours of entertainment on here :)

Great intro, too!

Are ya stateside mate?

It worries me that I am the same age as a lot of forum member's kids :/ I'm 17 too! Your girl sounds one of a kind, I have a hard time just getting my girlfriend to SIT on my bike!! haha.

Also man, lovely bike. You'll find a fair few on here with the cruiser-style bike. Me included on my Dragstar. Oh, and you were too late for Goff, she's gone now. :crying: Gone but not forgotten...!

Anyway, hope you find the forum very helpful and resourceful, and many a happy time spent indoors on it when it's too damn snowwy to ride your bike!!

Take Care mate,

Chris

Well now, thanks all for the warm welcomes. I see quite a step in local time references between me & thee… no matter. I’m the one in ‘the states’ and always late to the party.

I’ve typically leaned to the cruisers, not by any bias of cultural expression or compensation for personal short comings (have to take my word on that), but because I’ve always had a long haul to and from my work. I currently have an 80-mile round trip commute each day and the sport bike posture and firm suspension makes for numb body parts. You may have noticed the somewhat plump saddle on my 1300. I’ve always admired a wide seat.

I have a son in California who rides an R6 about town and a Raider 1850 on weekend rides in the desert. To his credit, he has deeper pockets than his Dad.

2 down… 40MR (Ross)

Welcome 40Miler" i see you had an XS650 in 79 " A true classic now,B) bet you wish you still had it ,,,

Hi Ross, welcome to the forum.

Are you getting the bad weather on the east coast of the States?

I'm from Wiltshire in the west of England and for the last six weeks we have had snow, ice and everything else they can throw at us.

It's only today that I could take the cover off my bike and start it up and get it ready for work on the fourth of January.

Up to now I have been relying on public transport, which I cannot fault but is very expensive.

Welcome Ross

Mike

BlackHat, that’s right. It was an XS-C (1976 model) sort of powder blue with a King/Queen seat and 4 inch extended forks. I bought it used from a neighbor who was going through a divorce and needed money. It had straight pipes and was so loud the old lady across the street complained until I put the stock pipes back on. It would certainly be a great bike to have today, my daughter would love it… light, quick and retro.

Mike, we got hammered two nights ago… 18˚ƒ, 50mph winds and snow. The storm shut down most of the NE coast. I couldn’t get in to work. At least I got one day added to my holiday vacation. No chance of getting the bike out now. We usually have a brief January thaw about mid-month. I’m going to tinker around, pull the back seat and rest off to put a leather fender bib on… hope to get a day or two out on the road then to fight back the withdrawal.

Sorry to hear about foul weather on your end. Regrettably, public transportation isn’t an option here… don’t know if I’d use it if it were. I usually end up sharing a ride with the neighbor up the road, but he retired last fall… still haven’t forgiven him.

40MR

and a late welcome to the madhouse from me,,

iv,e been out a lot ,you know,,,with it being christmas an all,,

well i hope you enjoy your stay,

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online