XJ900F

budgie7622
This post is 4820 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

First thing first i would like to wish EVERYONE a Merry Xmas and a Good Safe new year. Now on with my question i have a 91 XJ900F wich i have never ridden and i have heard from friends that riding a shaft drive is totaly different to a normal bike. Some say dont change down to quickly and give it a rev when i do others say dont be to quick with the clutch. I need to know what the score is bearing in mind i have been riding for 10yrs. now so i am not a bike virgin just a shaft one? but have just got over a broken leg and ankle so i dont want to lock the bike up as i have been told that it can happen. Thanks in advance for a help and keep the rubber down and youselves up.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Wow nice bike Budgie, yep their advice is about right -smooth on the controls, the shafty has a more positive feel on the bite-put a pair of skis at the front til the weather improves ;)

First thing first i would like to wish EVERYONE a Merry Xmas and a Good Safe new year. Now on with my question i have a 91 XJ900F wich i have never ridden and i have heard from friends that riding a shaft drive is totaly different to a normal bike. Some say dont change down to quickly and give it a rev when i do others say dont be to quick with the clutch. I need to know what the score is bearing in mind i have been riding for 10yrs. now so i am not a bike virgin just a shaft one? but have just got over a broken leg and ankle so i dont want to lock the bike up as i have been told that it can happen. Thanks in advance for a help and keep the rubber down and youselves up.

Hi

I have currently ride a shaft driven bike and my previous bike was also a shaftie, All I can say is when I compare a chain driven bike to a shaft driven bike, I have noticed very little difference in the way they ride, so I would wait till the roads are clear and enjoy riding it, The plus side for me is that after a ride all I do is wash the bike down and put it away, No chain to adjust and no chain oil to clean up,

• 1 month later...

I can only say from when I used to own a Honda CX500 (The plastic pig) and used her for dispatch while I was a student, that the shaft drive is great... very responsive and immediate translation of power from the crank. The CX was a very torquey bike, not glamorous nor fast, but always pumped out plenty of grunt from low revs. I found , with a shaft drive, you could slow right down in top gear, to almost walking pace, then squeeze the throttle and she'd push away immediately. The advantage being that you don't keep changing up and down the box in traffic and so reduce fuel consumption.

Shaft drive doesn't really affect the ride, but if it does lock the back wheel up, just throttle down and ride out of it... after 10 years riding, you can do that no problem and it wouldn't be half as bad as you are thinking anyway... probably just a split second or two.

Hope that might help. Enjoy the shaft experience... you'll never want a chain drive again.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online