Motorbike Covers

Davie J
This post is 4842 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

past my test on Saturday 29th-May-10 (that's another post & 1 hell of a horror story with a happy ending)& I've been a bit forgetfull/lazy about getting a cover, I did start out by looking on the internet a lot & phoning companies but I nerver received a straight answer! It seemed they were only interested if I was buying something rather than pointing me in the right direction, I even asked one company if a certain cover would fit my XVS 250cc Yamaha Dragster & all I got was "I don't know", even when I told him how long & high the bike is!!!

I seem to coma across Oxford a lot & two types 'Rainex' & 'Stormex', it seems to me that Oxford are the best quality (true?), is so which 1? Will I just be paying for the name?

I want one that has the holes for the chain but don't want to pay over the top, I assume It'll have to be an XL size.

I've looked at a lot of reviews but I just see good & bad comments, nothing decisive.

All I want to know is what's the best for the bike & who sells it the cheapest & the best size!!!

Any help?

Thanks

David.J.Harrison

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

ive got an oxford one on my XJ, before that it was on my DT more than 2 years ive had it), its still watertight, rolls up nicely and can be stowed in a backpack or tailpack, best £20 i ever spent, the ellastic is getting a bit loose now because its old but there are little eyelets in the bottom which i put a piece of rope through to tie it down under the bike

no holes for the chain though, just put it on before you but the cover on

I've got one of the Oxford Stormex covers, and although they're pricey - it is well worth the money!

It's got a heat resistant lining - so you can put it straight on the bike while it's still hot (the heat will help to dry the bike out underneath the cover) and it does have a very handy hole at either end for a chain to go through.

it's also got reflective patches in various places to help it be seen on the roadside and a strap to go underneath the bike.

On the downside it is quite bulky, but I was only planned on using it at home anyway...

You won't need an XL for the xvs250 - I opted for the xl figuring too big is better than too small and it drowned my xvs650, Large would have easily done (although now I've got the 950 I'm glad I got the xl!)

I'm guessing a Medium sized one might fit the 250...

Id suggest getting it from your local bike shop and ask if you can swap it if it doesn't fit right (otherwise consider the pro's and cons of the distance selling regulations...)

Word of warning on the whole "bigger is better" option - I put the xl cover on the GS500E that I had for a while (the cover totally swamped it), and on a windy night it acted like a sail and blew the bike over (bust brake lever and mirror)

So a tight fitting cover is better!!

Hope this has helped!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online