Newbie with DT175 says "hello"

Nick60
This post is 4880 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I've just signed up and would like to introduce myself... if anyone cares :rolleyes:

I've been riding bikes since the mid 70's ( started on a Puch VZ50 if anyone remembers them.. ) various BSAs, Triumphs, an amazing RD400, Moto Morini 3 1/2, Dneiper, XS750, KLR250 amongst others, and more recently BMW F650GS. And now I'm also the proud owner of an '81 DT175MX. I live in Bulgaria and love touring and riding trails which we have pretty much free access to here,(hence the DT as the BMW is just too heavy and I'm embarrassed to be overtaken by teeneagers on their dirt bikes).

My Mrs and I also happen to run a bike friendly backpacker hostel in case anyone needs a bed or a garage and help in Bulgaria. I'm no mechanic but I'm not totally ignorant either.... not soliciting business but we love it when real travellers call in, even if only for a cuppa. We're kind of on the way to/from Greece and Turkey.

Anyway, enough of me. I have a few questions re my new purchase ( ebay from Germany, 650 euros )

It's a 2k4 (1981) and is different from the UK models in some minor aspects (eg wiring), basically in vgc but needs a good service.

My manual says 10/30 engine oil for the gearbox. Can I use any old oil or will I end up with clutch slip? Your recommendations please.

A local friend suggests ATF for the forks.. any comments?

Incidently, the German log book has the cc as 169cc which I really don't understand. Does anyone know anything about this?

I look forward to hearing from anyone who has nothing better to do... :)

Thanks, Nick.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello and welcome to the 'ward' :blink: Nick, great intro btw :D , several DT enthusiasts on here m8, and one Mobylette owner ;) , few long distance nomads on here too-so someone may take you up on the hostelery, stick around and I'm sure the help wont be far away

Jim (from Scotchgitland)

Nice to see a proper intro Nick :thumb:

DT175's are very welcome here,

Look at the casting at the bottom of the cylinder you will see it says 171cc, which if it were on standard bore, that would be the capacity.

ATF in the forks would be ok but it's a bit of an experiment really so go for it and if its too thin then try fork oil.

Any questions on the DT fire away its a favourite of mine and Cynic's

...Paul

Welcome to the boards,

not sure on ATF in the forks, why risk having to do it all over. Just use fork oil?

Otherwise enjoy, any pictures?

My Mrs and I also happen to run a bike friendly backpacker hostel in case anyone needs a bed or a garage and help in Bulgaria.

Welcome Nick , The longest intro for a while , if not ever,,, Gearbox oil " don"t put in car engine oil , as the have anti-friction agents [ fine for bearings but not for clutches]

Card Boad Dave " do i feel a big ride-out next year , on the DTr, B)

Hi Jim, hi Paul,

Thanks for your replies.

I am a Sassenach but Aberdeenshire (by Turra) was home for many years. The constant rain eventually p****d me off! You're a braver man than me :)

Re the DT, the barrel says 171cc. But I always though the Germans were too efficient to make a mistake... remains a mystery.

Any thoughts on whether modern oils will cause clutch slip (my BMW has to have older SF,SG or SH spec oil as newer oils cause clutch slip). The problem is I can't easily get older spec oils here so I have to buy very expensive special bike oil which seems a waste if I have to change it (gearbox) regularly.

A' the best.

Nick.

Silkolene Moto X oil , will do the trick , or rock oil ,,, ;)

what aboot the turra coo ? i had mates over bulgaria last year , on Enduro rides , they had a brittish national instructor ,,,

Thanks Folks,

All your comments on oils/atf noted.

It's a long way on a DTr but the old boy who first got me into bikes toured the whole of Europe on one of those pushbikes with an engine strapped to the front wheel so just let me know when to put the kettle on... There are great places to ride over here, on and off road. Not that I'm fit to be any kind of instructor :unsure:

Haven't worked out how to use the tech parts of the forum yet so no picks for now but I'll get there.

And the Turra Coo... we miss her :)

Welcome along Nick B)

Tis a grand spot this place :) Hope ya enjoy !

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online