ybr 125, is it restricted?

shepherd111
This post is 4799 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi i have resently started riding a ybr 125 it is 09 model so its fuel injected not carb, but most pages i look at talk about the bike being able to get to around 70mph i know that might just be talk, or there goin "down hill with the wind behind them" lol but on mine im strugling to get past 55mph ish gets there fine but after that its like it gets to about 9000 revs then then wont let it go any higher than that. Like its restricted but it can rev till red line in all the other gears. just wondering if there is some other kind of restriction.

if theres not and the bike just carnt get any faster then thats fine but i dont really want to be spending loads just to get it to 70 ish just wondering if theres ewt i could do my self really.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've got a 2010 YBR125. The main things I've found on forums seem to indicate that if you're taller than about 6ft or weigh more than 11 stone then it won't go too fast. They don't rev too fast high up in bigger gears. Try an oil change as it makes a difference if it hasn't been done. Oil is less than £10 for decent stuff and it makes real a difference to the gear change and smooth running of the engine. The biggest thing I've found though is to run it on super unleaded (tesco momentum99 is good and cheap), it makes it run better and you get better economy than with nasty petrol like you find in most super markets normal unleaded stuff but it might take a tankfull and a half before you notice any difference. also if it's a couple of years old check your air filter(especially if its had a wet life and/or kept outdoors.) otherwise your only option is to get your chin on the tank and head downhill.

Seems to be luck of the draw, I had an 08 YBR that would do 60-65mph without any problems, and has topped out at 72mph on a hill (with tail wind :rolleyes:)

My current 09 YBR is like yours, will get to 55mph with ease but struggles to get past 60mph. Fastest I've ever had out of it is 67mph on a hill, so it is possible in the right places. On the plus side, the gearbox on the 09 model seems much much nicer than the 08 and rarely sticks.

Just to add, I'm 6ft 3, 14st!

They're not restricted, they're just not powerful, they're only 10BHP and learners can ride up to 14BHP 125's unrestricted.

But at 100-120mpg I'm not complaining.

you could always try changing the sprocket ratio to increase top end but the acceleration will drop.(costs anywhere between 10-50 quid) all depends what you use the bike for , if ur in city areas then keep it as it is, if your commuting and goin down long roads then id change the ratio so the bike could hit 60mph. but at the end of the day its only 10bhp.

• 3 weeks later...

I changed the front sprocket with 1-tooth-less sprocket. The gear ratio increase is about 8%. The result is significantly better acceleration on 5-th gear. Now I'm able to reach 60-65 mph with my 90kg.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had just under 80mph on mine down a hill. We have a dual carraigeway on i'd say a 20% gradient and I managed about 77mph. Just behind the red line too. Mine is a 3 month old YBR 125 2010 model and i've never had it go as slow as 55mph unless its up a steep hill. Guess i'm lucky

• 3 weeks later...

Aye mine will accelerate up to 50 quickly enough, then creep slowly up to 60 and stay there doing about 8000rpm. One time I must have had a tailwind or something because it got up to 65 and felt like it was ready to do more but I had to slow down for a roundabout. Maybe it was just saying thanks for the recent oil change :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online