continous Insurance UK law

drewpy
This post is 497 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The continuous insurance enforcement scheme will provide a new fixed penalty for people who ignore official reminders that their insurance has expired. This will apply to vehicles that are not declared as being off the road through SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) and not insured. Continuing offenders will risk having their vehicle seized and destroyed.

Where a motor vehicle isn't used on a road or other public place, there’s no requirement to purchase insurance cover for 'on road risk' as long as a SORN declaration has been made. The continuous insurance enforcement scheme is expected to come into force during 2011.

more information http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_067639

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well that one hasn't been though out very well has it......

Why didn't they just add some standard 3rd party insurance to the RFL as other countries do ?

Or better still, ditch the whole 3rd party insurance and RFL, and add the cost to fuel - then no-one can avoid paying it!

Hey drewpy i hear that the new law even counts if you only hav a bike 'frame' in the shed..!!! apparently the dvla regard the frame to be the bike...... any thoughts ??

the frame is what registers the bike, get it on SORN asap, it costs nowt but will cost if you don't!

Pain in the arse, typical whitehall tossers

the frame is what registers the bike, get it on SORN asap, it costs nowt but will cost if you don't!

Pain in the arse, typical whitehall tossers

Lets poke them with a stick if we see any of them :huh:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've heard about this too, a pretty raw deal if you ask me and with the new European licensing directive coming 2013 we'll (or rather up and coming bikers) will soon be legislated off the road!

This is why i like old stuff like my dt.

Emmision requirements, oh no they dont count. Just it cannot leave a visible puddle underneath it or emit 'excessive smoke' :lol:

Mind there is noise, oh er no not that onbe either unless of course the bike is reg after march 1981, then its only if the exhaust fitted is in poor condition.

Lighting is open to (abuse) interpretation as its crap anyway and even the numberplates have a lot of leway, i have an original metal plate with the old stick on numbers. Was legal when it went on so its 'ok' now.

You gotta love old smokers B)

And yes the whitehall wankers have got all their wires crossed, they should be encouraging bikes, christ my DT uses 6-8 litres a week for work, a 3rd what the car does and a lot less than the rangie. I can park no problem and no congestion. I seem to recall we were going to get tax brakes and all sorts once upon a time.

Time will tell, i think the cracks are forming already. If that 10p/litre fuel rise kicks in you wont need to go to the middle east to see riots in the streets.

• Like 1

Anyone know when this is coming in? It says "early 2011" on the official Gov web site, so must be soon. I have just read it does not apply to cars reg'ed in NI and if your vehicle was off road prior to SORN starting it does not need to be SORN'ed except if it is brought back onto the road. That means my TS is safe until I have it ready :)

• 3 weeks later...

Being a bit dim here, so you must be insured or SORNed?

yep, unless your bike has been off the road since pre-SORN days, then you don't need SORN.

• 3 weeks later...

God damn politians, insurers, oil companies, tax man.

I shall buy a small island and add a few small tarmac stretches with nice bends and luxurious straights - I shall call it trumpetdudeland and there shall be no road tax, :D no insurance, :D and no speed limits :P . Gotta bring your own petrol and beer though. ;):lol:

God damn politians, insurers, oil companies, tax man.

I shall buy a small island and add a few small tarmac stretches with nice bends and luxurious straights - I shall call it trumpetdudeland and there shall be no road tax, :D no insurance, :D and no speed limits :P . Gotta bring your own petrol and beer though. ;):lol:

till you start getting writs for damages and crashes, all sorts of people arrive and start fighting etc, so you need security. then the carvans pitch up and you need a police force to remove them. Guess where the money has to come from?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Correct me if Im wrong, If your bike/car is not declared sorned then you have to have it insured(because it is assumed taxed and road use legal).If you declare it sorned,(which is only valid for 1 year then you have to re sorn it)then it has to be garaged or parked on a private driveway?

If it has not been taxed or SORN'ed since SORN began on 31st Jan 1998 then you don't need to do anything.

If it has been taxed or SORN'ed since then you must either;

1) Make sure it is SORN'ed every year

or

2) Have insurance for it.

I emailed MIB (Motor Insurers' Bureau) yesterday as they were showing misleading information on some of their pages. I have not had a reply and the information is still misleading. It also makes no mention of the pre-sorn condition. Hardly surprising seeing that they represent insurers. The page I complained about is here LINKY

Please feel free to also tell them that they are misleading Joe Public if you so desire.

More info regarding exceptions LINKY

• 1 month later...

I've just had to insure my Fazer to avoid getting the £100 fine for no insurance. What really, REALLY grates is the fact that some scrotes tried stealing it the other night (bust steering lock and dropped it when disturbed wheeling it down drive) rendering it useless. Yes my bike won't start and I can't afford to mend it right now but have had to pay to get it insured....when I tried to sorn it the Gov web site said I didn't need to but I soldiered on thinking the site had yet to updated and then I thought it said I'd have to surrender my tax disc if I sorned it. I lost my rag and got the insurance, only £90 tpf&t but that would have bought me a couple of hours fault finding at the dealers....

I've just had to insure my Fazer to avoid getting the £100 fine for no insurance. What really, REALLY grates is the fact that some scrotes tried stealing it the other night (bust steering lock and dropped it when disturbed wheeling it down drive) rendering it useless. Yes my bike won't start and I can't afford to mend it right now but have had to pay to get it insured....when I tried to sorn it the Gov web site said I didn't need to but I soldiered on thinking the site had yet to updated and then I thought it said I'd have to surrender my tax disc if I sorned it. I lost my rag and got the insurance, only £90 tpf&t but that would have bought me a couple of hours fault finding at the dealers....

at least if it gets nicked, its covered!