yamaha dt50 mx 1987 no spark

bigjim1994
This post is 4887 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi

i have a yamaha dt50 mx 1987 and have no spark. i have just rebuilt it and swapped the engine from another dt50 from the same year. is there anything that i could have blown or not connected correctly or forgot to wire.

hope someone can help me

thanks . jamesx

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi

i have a yamaha dt50 mx 1987 and have no spark. i have just rebuilt it and swapped the engine from another dt50 from the same year. is there anything that i could have blown or not connected correctly or forgot to wire.

hope someone can help me

thanks . jamesx

Hi BigJim,

have you put a multi meter and checked the readings , good battery, power to coil , coil to plug , does any off the elecrics work at all , could be just a bad earth ,check the loom for breakages and fusty connectors

if you have rebuilt it and had the frame powder coated you will need to re tap the thread for it to earth out

we could do with a bit more info

cheers al

is the battery good

neutral light on

ignition switch on

kill switch off

Not familiar, would need a wiring diagram, some bikes are magneto ignition and are not too fussed about the battery

As a quick test...is there a Black/white wire to the CDI?...if so can you unplug it without unplugging others...if so try that...spark now?

The battery has nothing to do with the ignition on these bikes. It has self generating CDi. You need to find a manual and go through the tests for the source windings, pick up, bike wiring and coil checks. If every thing else is OK its the CDi unit that's gone.

I'm assuming you've changed the spark plug and HT cap already ....................

hi.

yes i have changed the ht cap and ht coil(and lead) so if there is still no sprak what good is a new spark plug because a new one wont even spark if the ht lead isnt sparking. if i am wrong please tell me. someone i spoke to mentioned it could be the contact breaker points have closed if so how do i open them and do i need to take the flywheel off. if i do that will then require a fly wheel pulley i presume? are there different ones for different bikes or are they all the same?

thanks

james x

I've looked they were indeed points, you can check the gap with the flywheel on.

Very odd as not many mopeds had points that late.

Second the advise above, get a manual then you'll be sure. Your local library will be able to get a Haynes book if they don't have one in - for free.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online