dt125x sm solenoid clicks and no turns over

dougspoke
This post is 2654 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello fellow enthusiasts, could do with some more advice if poss (before eventually send bike into gagage)bought a second dt125x s.m. bike, this bike has a few more issues 1st won,t turn over on elec start, just very loud clicking and not lot else, occasionally does try and turn over, but not fast turn over. 2nd problem, could be more serious told has ignition or electrical prob, but hard to see if sparks at plug till have starter motor working as no kickstart, bike has been ridden down a small hill to attempt start but to no avail . believe obvious things checked ,ie petrol, switch,s in right position, choke on, etc, advice appreciated please previous owner thought stator might be faulty / defective, same problem not a lot of dosh really ! managed to purchase bike through sell of lot of rc models, but would really like to get up and running, or even just nearer to that goal of running sweetly

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

thanks vez, done this but still no joy, but got a few ideas by looking through the haynes manual whilst bored, but probably have to wait for some daylight again, at least giving battery time to charge properly, thanks . will post again if the thing starts, cross fingers and long preyer !!

update........... managed to get engine running by bumping the bike, 3rd attempt before i nearly collapsed (unfit and lazy smoker ). anyway pleased with for the moment, bike ran fairly well,bit more umph than my other dtx, however could,nt get to idle without choke, even though was warmed up, believe missing connecting pipe that should be connected to front pipe to r/h connector unit by rh dummy rad area (missing when got bike ),could block off both ends but rather replace soon , so runs stock condition till bike runs smoothly. anyways still not getting starter to turn !!!!!!!!! wemoto want 45/50 for a new battery (ouch ), not sure as not obvious if my batt is any good, holds some charge, might try jump leads when friend comes round ?!!! really like 2 get bike elec starting without having to take to a garage as bike not road legal yet and would mean need collecting and re delivering £££. bike was supposed to have had work done to starter at some point. so used to kickstart bikes , bit lost with faulty eleccy start .ps good evenning to all yamaha enthusiasts today . anyway know cdi box and stator good as runs now,by bumping, wicked .tried looking on u tube for advice /tech on starter motor probs, but only really car clips , no good.

The solenoid on the starter will just click of your battery doesnt have enough power.

A quick check for the starter solinoid would be to connect the starter motor directly to a fully charged battery, with some large caliber cable. Not done this to a DT125 but it works for car starters, so done at your own risk..

My money is still on the connections at this point, i had identical symptoms (clicking and no start, but would bump) after charging the battery on mine, turned out it was a loose connection. Check the fuses on the starter feed also.

My Thread here

The pipe that runs from the front pipe (exhaust expansion chamber) is an air feed for the catalytic converter and runs to the airbox via a one way valve under the false radiator panel. I have blocked mine off and it runs fine. If you have a after-market front pipe fitted, its redundant anyway.

thanks vez and 2 wheels yamaha owners, i,ve read vez link as well,thanks. don,t want to risk damaging starter supplying power directly but interesting, m and p believe do cheaper batteries, can afford but don,t really want to do till sure its the battery, did,nt have great deal of time today, but hopefully sort out soon .thanks guys, this post might be of help to other dt 125 re / x owners possibly. will let u know once done,thanks again

swopped another battery into the misbehaving bike, and does exactly the same click, click,click,. think i will wait 1 week till get some dosh then gat a garage mechanic to investigate this very naughty behavour, so many things and possibilities it could be, from simple to complicated and always goes dark these evenings too quickly, atleast leave it a few days maybe, have got another bike to ride meantime . thanks guys for your input anyway,cheers

tested solenoid with a voltmeter for input and ouput, shows working, cleaned all connections,inc earth lead,battery terminals, sol terminals, still clicks,good battery, evvenning gents . i believe starter motor needs attention !!! though once in a blue moon does turn motor, connection in motor ? priced up new motor £250 without vat ! but good news they sell spares inc brushes to (not me)rebuild starter. even sh ones very dear!!!! and my local ?nearest repair shop want £48 per hourly labour to work on it. i know starter motor is held by 3 screws behind lh sidecase, but starter clutch might also need attention and told these sometimes seize up apparently, giving the motor a hard time.plus i would need flywheel rotor stap holding tool and 3 leegged puller ? to poss access ring gear and starter clutch. thanks for hearing me out

best way to check the starter motor would be to take the long black lead coming from the motor and put it on the positive terminal of the battery (when its in the bike) if it turns over then its not the starter motor. would save spending 250 quid to find its a faulty relay or switch. normally a click from the solenoid means that ur starter motor is past it, or for some reason there isnt enough power to complete the circuit like a bust fuse, loose wire, rubbish earth, dead battery ect. either that or the starter relay is broke.

best way to check the starter motor would be to take the long black lead coming from the motor and put it on the positive terminal of the battery (when its in the bike) if it turns over then its not the starter motor. would save spending 250 quid to find its a faulty relay or switch. normally a click from the solenoid means that ur starter motor is past it, or for some reason there isnt enough power to complete the circuit like a bust fuse, loose wire, rubbish earth, dead battery ect. either that or the starter relay is broke.

+1 Apart from its the Red Wire, or it is on mine anyway.

Also try tapping the starter motor with something like the handle of a screwdriver while you're trying to start the bike because it may just be sticking.

update , last saturaday removed starter motor myself, not really that difficult (thank god) haynes manual usually good but they mix up the step by step pics with tzr bike,not helpful. anyway a friend gave some instant advice, ie starter motor is deceased and heading for the pearly gates upstairs, cos would,nt turn over when power applied directly and closer examination , part of the magnets in the can have broken up and basically whole thing damaged/mangled. though good news i have recieved yesterday a working s/h one, sent 24hr delivery,good good.i hope to fit tommorrow friday,if i can brave the weather ! keep popping inside for breaks before i come a snowman. fairly confident i can get the starter fixed on and working again, however bike needs some work in other areas, ie would only tick over with choke on, could need carb jets cleaned out ?, but last time tried there was no a.i.s connection tube to front pipe,could poss be this, but got a sh airbox to go on and might strip carb while between swopping airbox,s as easier to access carb with no airbox, so can pull carb back and remove easier or just tilt and remove carb bowl, anyway hope to have bike running smoothly and idling nicely friday or definately over weekend !! old airbox has been badly chopped about by the top snorkel area (and snorkel rubber missing ) with loads of tape, could run as is but like bike to run std trim, fingers crossed have bike elec starting and idling right (with choke off ) next 24 48 hrs 36 hrs !? if i can put the hours in should be ok, a good evenning to all yamaha bikers,thanks

i wish i kept my dt175mx ! uncomplicated and so easy to repair or kmx 200 , this dt125 x s.m. elec start is great when reliable but a pain to service, as loaded with a whole lot of electronic and mechanical gizmos ! but hope to make some progress very soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sorry guys, been a while ! basically starter motor was fried, got it cranking, then fitted new plug br8es ngk and fresh fuel and cleaned air filter ( replacement starter motor /used but works) and think most important thing was spending 1 hour tuning carb, much to the joy of my near neighbours ! bike seems ok now and learnt a few things along the way, thanks to the haynes bible and this good y.o.club site and members, thanks

• 5 years later...

I'm having the same problem now with my XT600, found something on Cyclepedia on testing it, as others have said on here, if the relay is clicking its working, I ran 12v to the starter motor and it doesn't turn over so its the starter motor, again! It worked for 1/2 a second after rocking it backward and forward in gear (an alternative to whacking it with a hammer) I'm gonna take it off and try cleaning any shit out and check brushes but think I need a new one.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online