removing o-ring fork caps

chillisr250
This post is 4899 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So i'm stupid, sorry.

What's the process for removing these type of fork caps. Everywhere I've looked seems to refer to screw caps. It's on a 95 SR250 Yam - the manual I have is for the 80's variety so no help there.

Basically there's a dust cap on top of the fork tube then there's a flat cap inside the tube and o-rings (apparently). Well I can see one on the left side that isn't sealed properly. I want to get them out, replace the oil - and not f-ck up my forks.

An idiot guide for an idiot would be great. Also any special tools I'll need - not going to replace the fork seals as they seem fine, no seepage.

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

they sound like the xs400 forks.

I use the wife to pick out the little circlip with a terminal driver. I push down really hard on the fork cap with a heavy duty screwdriver so she can get to the circlip.

It then flies across the garage and I spend 1/2 hour looking for it.

if the cap won't budge, i nod my head and the wife hits it with a mallet! :(

they sound like the xs400 forks.

I use the wife to pick out the little circlip with a terminal driver. I push down really hard on the fork cap with a heavy duty screwdriver so she can get to the circlip.

It then flies across the garage and I spend 1/2 hour looking for it.

if the cap won't budge, i nod my head and the wife hits it with a mallet! :(

That must cause a bit of a headache! :lol:

I've managed to get that type out by myself, but I was about ready to throw things before I got it done.

Make sure you slacken the top yoke pinchbolt that goes around the stanchion as this can make a differance and try spraying just a drop of wd40 around the cap as this can help stop the 0 ring sticking. I've used one of the long extension bars you get in a socket set to compress the cap with one hand while you try to hook out the circlip with a small flat screwdriver. Tony.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online