92 YZ80D blowing crack case oil

clocker
This post is 4889 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all.

This bike is a 1992 YZ80D and it blows crank case oil out of a bypass hose when it's under load. Anyone hazard a guess as to what the fix might be before I start taking things apart?

I've never had one of these apart, but will have to shortly if my daughter wants to keep riding this thing.

I have an owners service manual, but it lacks a diagram that might reveal how pressure is building in the crank case under load to blow out oil. It's getting worse so I'll have to do something about it this winter to have it ready for spring. Any insight people here might have to offer would be welcome.

Ian

Edit - Crank case... not crack.. save me!

• 1 month later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all.

This bike is a 1992 YZ80D and it blows crank case oil out of a bypass hose when it's under load. Anyone hazard a guess as to what the fix might be before I start taking things apart?

I've never had one of these apart, but will have to shortly if my daughter wants to keep riding this thing.

I have an owners service manual, but it lacks a diagram that might reveal how pressure is building in the crank case under load to blow out oil. It's getting worse so I'll have to do something about it this winter to have it ready for spring. Any insight people here might have to offer would be welcome.

Ian

Edit - Crank case... not crack.. save me!

Check oil level , if not overfilled then it is likely to be a worn crankshaft seal , you may as well do both sides . OEM Yamaha ones are expensive but better than pattern ones.

Bob

Check oil level , if not overfilled then it is likely to be a worn crankshaft seal , you may as well do both sides . OEM Yamaha ones are expensive but better than pattern ones.

Bob

Thanks Bob. Got it on the oil level.

Hi clocker" the piston rings must be worn also "crankcase pressure" is caused by blow-pass [ compression] down side of rings, better inspect while stripped, rebore might be on the cards,

measure at skirt of barrel. [you need sizes from workshop manual] ,,,

Hi clocker" the piston rings must be worn also "crankcase pressure" is caused by blow-pass [ compression] down side of rings, better inspect while stripped, rebore might be on the cards,

measure at skirt of barrel. [you need sizes from workshop manual] ,,,

As I understand it the two chambers have no connection, but if they do and it continues to spew cankcase oil I'll be sure to check the rings and bore, thanks.

As I understand it the two chambers have no connection, but if they do and it continues to spew cankcase oil I'll be sure to check the rings and bore, thanks.

Ah" its a little two-stroke " :rolleyes:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online