Fuel Consumption

Big Bird
This post is 4893 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Evening everyone,

Me again, after yet more advise. Oh the joys of being new to the bike maintenance game!!

Took the bike out over the weekend and all seemed fine. Filled up and off I went. However, when I'd done about 90 miles, it started to splutter as if low on fuel, so I turned on the reserve. All back to normal after I re-filled at the nearest garage. My question is: It usuaully does about 120 miles before I need more juice! Anyone have any ideas on why this has suddenly happened?

Cheers guys!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It depends on what type of riding you do, on mine if I get on the bike for a longish haul I fill up on 100 miles, at the present I'm just using it to commute to work ( 6 miles there and back) all stop/start and going through the gears. I let it warm up for 5 minutes then I have to fill up every 80 miles. This type of riding I tend to average 10 miles per litre.

the louder the noise from the back the more it will drink

Hmmm....... mine isn't the quietest bike (XT-Z) on the block, but it does do 300 miles to the tank. So I can't agree with this.

It sounds a bit 'off' does that, I mean I can get 120 out of the XJR and that's a 1300cc bike, with some spirited riding. You might want to have a think about the mixture, is the choke on while running ? Stuck maybe ? or has someone been playing with the mixture screws in a past life ? It wouldn't do any harm to have this checked and the carbs balanced while they are at it.

Hmmm....... mine isn't the quietest bike (XT-Z) on the block, but it does do 300 miles to the tank. So I can't agree with this.

It sounds a bit 'off' does that, I mean I can get 120 out of the XJR and that's a 1300cc bike, with some spirited riding. You might want to have a think about the mixture, is the choke on while running ? Stuck maybe ? or has someone been playing with the mixture screws in a past life ? It wouldn't do any harm to have this checked and the carbs balanced while they are at it.

Choke not on, but I guess it could be stuck. Not mucked about with the screws myself, but again, could be...

Cheers

Choke not on, but I guess it could be stuck. Not mucked about with the screws myself, but again, could be...

Cheers

Cheers

So, let me get this right, what your saying is :unsure:

So, let me get this right, what your saying is :unsure:

Hmm, PC went a bit mad, posted some half written rubbish 3 times and then crashed on me. Just got back on now! Apologies for the garbled crap.

No need for apology, garbled crap is completely acceptable on this site, along with pay-pal, amex and all other major 'would you credit it' cards :huh:

Second time lucky, I hope.

what I was trying to say was:

The choke wasn't on, and I have not messed around with the screws myself, dont know what the previous owner may have done, but Ive had the bike since July and would have thought it would have done it before.

I reckon I'll have the carbs looked at / balanced to be sure, as I know about as much as a dead frog about this stuff.

Cheers everyone - hope this posts right this time.

IIRC I usually get 100 miles out of a full tank-then I switch the tap to reserve, and I should get a further 30 miles on reserve, however as soon as its on reserve I head for the nearest filling station so my figures are not accurate for a 'full tank range', did you move the pet-cock (oooer missus) to reserve when it started to splutter (ooeeer missus)?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online