final gear ratio's

Paulwhite
This post is 4917 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all im having a hard time trying to think of the final gear ratio i should use for my project. :blink:

the xvs 125 has a gear ratio of 59/16= 3.6875 (taken from sprocket ratio)

but that is to pull the mass amount of weight that the bike has (dont know exactly how heavy it is) and top speed is about 60mph (with me on it and im 10.5 stone)

but the bike im building is going to be allot lighter with a little more powerful engine (cbr 125 has a little more torque) so my question is what gear ratio should i go for?

with the front sprocket being a 15 tooth and the rear being 59 tooth im gonna get a ratio of 3.93!! which i admit is mint for acceleration but the top end is going to suffer....allot!

also anyone know where i could get my hands on a smaller rear sprocket for the xvs 125? say a 49 tooth? or there abouts.

cheers. Paul.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Paul

is the cbr engine from a Honda?

Anyway the terrain in the the UK is much more flat compare to other regions of Europe or the world. If you were an Albanian or Swiss rider things could be different but as a cruiser in this country I would go for 2 up at the front an 3 down at the back. As you know I did mine 2 up (front) 2 down (back) but I will go for 3 down back if I had to do it all over again.

Just an opinion mate.

Hi Paul

is the cbr engine from a Honda?

Anyway the terrain in the the UK is much more flat compare to other regions of Europe or the world. If you were an Albanian or Swiss rider things could be different but as a cruiser in this country I would go for 2 up at the front an 3 down at the back. As you know I did mine 2 up (front) 2 down (back) but I will go for 3 down back if I had to do it all over again.

Just an opinion mate.

yes m8 its the honda cbr 125 (2004) the biggest sprocket size for the engine is 17 teeth and with the smaller rear sprocket the gear ratio would be 3.29 which is better than the 3.9 iv got now lol

the problem down my way is its quite hilly so im gonna need some torque to get up them, but want to be able to hit a decent speed. so need to find a happy medium :D iv done it all back wards and bought a chain and sprocket kit not realizing that the rear sprocket has 59 teeth lol anyone want a brand new 16 tooth front sprocket? for £7? lol

Unmodded 125 Dragstar weighs 144kg.

Unmodded 125 Dragstar weighs 144kg.

cheers, is that dry weight or with a full tank and oil ?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online