how to apply K&N filter oil?

ryanwilki
This post is 4908 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

ive got a dt50 and have just got a K&N style filter from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370192159048&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Im just wondering wether i should oil it up? I found some K&N filter oil in the back of the garage but it doesnt say what you do so can anybody tell me? its the red stuff btw.

thanks in advance,

Ryan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The filter should come pre-oiled, rub it gently and see... (the filter)

If not, make sure the filter is clean and dry before you start.

Spray the filter, from the air-in side evenly until it's all red then leave for about 30 minutes, best if you can let gravity pull the oil through, if you know what I mean - but it depends on if it's a flat filter of a round one. Depending on the conditions, I might give it another coating, but make sure you leave it 30 minutes from the last application before you run the bike.

If you over oil it, the bike will pull the excess through, or it will run out the bottom of your airbox. On the TTR which I always over-oil, the bike runs a bit rough until the excess has been pulled through.

If it is a foam filter, then cover the filter with oil, and squeeze out the excess.

hi,

thanks for the reply. It is a cone shaped one and as its from taiwan and was really cheap, no it isnt pre-oiled :rolleyes:

i dont have the spray on stuff, its in a bottle with a wierd nozzle that looks as though it slides over the pleats and the oil comes out as you squeeze the bottle. Im guessing now that i just run a thin bead of it over each pleat ??

its this oil: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RX1348?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed

i just wanted to make sure as like you said, over oiling can reduce performance etc. it also has ounces measured on the side of the bottle which scared me off a bit but just going to go for it now.

Oh and one last question: im running a standard airbox at the minute and the mixture is set quite well on the middle point on the needle. Will i have to re-jet the main jet to a bigger size or do you think i could just put the needle circlip down a few notches?

thanks for the help again

ryan :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online