XVS 650 dragstar

muffdiver
This post is 4900 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I had a baby drag which i loved to bits but after finding out that someone else wanted my baby more than i did (but without having to pay for it) i felt the need to not only get another dragstar but something a bit more manly, sad or what ... lol so anyway after having been out and got myself this beautiful little beasty shes a 1997 xvs650. I started to think that i really should have asked the question is there anything serious with the old dragstars that i needed to look for or to keep an eye on. so can anybody tell me if there is anything i need to watch out for or as i say perhaps keep an eye on, i would be really greatful for any help or information on this. cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The reg/rec is precariously mounted.

Look at the front of the frame directly behind the front wheel, on teh crossbar between the footpegs. That is where they chose to put teh bloody thing.

In addition, it's mounted on an L-bracket and just one single bolt secures it to the frame. Essentially, when you're bimbling along, the weight of the reg/rec bounces up and down on that one slim bit of metal.

Usually it picks up loads of road crap and rusts, before breaking off right above the single bolt. Keep an eye on it and be prepared to have a mate weld it back together.

Consider stripping and re-painting the thing in a thick coat of Hammerite.

That's pretty much it for the 650s.

The reg/rec is precariously mounted.

Look at the front of the frame directly behind the front wheel, on teh crossbar between the footpegs. That is where they chose to put teh bloody thing.

In addition, it's mounted on an L-bracket and just one single bolt secures it to the frame. Essentially, when you're bimbling along, the weight of the reg/rec bounces up and down on that one slim bit of metal.

Usually it picks up loads of road crap and rusts, before breaking off right above the single bolt. Keep an eye on it and be prepared to have a mate weld it back together.

Consider stripping and re-painting the thing in a thick coat of Hammerite.

That's pretty much it for the 650s.

Thank you, thats got to be good news i will make sure that i keep an eye on it. thanks again.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online