XJ600N keeps throwing a strop

Lanky-Stig
This post is 4932 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all,

My '00 XJ600N has recently developed an annoying habit of refusing to start. The bike will be in neutral, light will show, side stand down and clutch lever pulled in; and when I go to start him the starter motor won't turn over and all I get in the oil light coming on.

A mate suggested the clutch switch and he cleaned and lubricated it to get it going again. However this time the bike will not start again and I have opened up and cleaned the starter switch, cleaned and lubricated the clutch switch and tried to clean and lubricate the side stand switch, all with no success of getting him going.

Does this sound like either the clutch or side stand switch has gone? I have read it can be a common problem on the XJ600.

Many thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

what effect does your engine cut switch usually have, some bikes do exactly what you describe when on or some just wont start so check the switch . chris

on my XJ600 pre div, if you try and start with the killswitch activated it will just show the oil light, or could it possibly be refusing to start because of a problem with your oil system?

on my XJ600 pre div, if you try and start with the killswitch activated it will just show the oil light, or could it possibly be refusing to start because of a problem with your oil system?

The killswitch is off and I had the unit apart previously to check for corrosion etc and it seemed fine. The oil level is okay and isn't leaking from anywhere.

I finally got it running yesterday when I was checking the live feed to the starter motor. Seemed there was a dodgey earth. After cleaning it up and getting it running again, it ran fine and was turned off and on again a number of times with no problem at all. Then I left my bike standing out at my parents for a couple of hours and when I came to start it again, the problem was back. It wouldn't start and after a lot of faffing about and checking for dodgey earths etc I couldn't find the problem. I'm really stuck now and don't know what else it could be. The bike has now been abandoned at the rents until I sort something out so I could do with fixing this asap.

Your starter could be sticking.

Sit on the bike and try starting normaly,,,,,,,,,,no start

ignition on

side stand up

select 1st

clutch out

rock the bike forward against the weight of the engine,,,,,,,,turning the engine just slightly,,,,,,,,doesnt even have to move more than a few inches

now neutral gear

try starting again,,,,,,,,,any joy ? ?

What sound is the starter making / if any, when ya hit the start button ?

If when you turn the ignition on and you just get the neutral light and oil warning light but no click of the solenoid then it could be there is a break in the wireing between the starter button and the starter relay. More than likely it's where the wire is connected into the relay. On my divvy it's situated under the seat. If your brave enough and wish to confirm this use a small screwdriver and place across the two nuts on the starter solenoid with the ignition switched on, but be sure to hold the insulated handle or you will get a shock.

Hope this helps

Mike

Well I got my dad to try the bike for me just on the off chance it would start..............and it did!

It's running fine again, the starter motor sounds fine and doesn't struggle when I start him up. If he plays up again I will try the above suggestions. Thanks.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online