The XJs little niggles...

wild foamy
This post is 4931 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

heya peeps.

been using the XJ for almost a month now without too many problems, sorted out my regulator, got my heated grips installed and all is now well, however there are a few little problems i would like to get sorted out.

firstly, at around 5000rpm there is a noticeable increase in vibration, this goes away at around 6000rpm but the bars still vibrate at any revs and after 3-4 hours this makes my little finger go numb, is there a cause for this and how can i fix it?

second, the bike has been stood for a bout a year before i had it and about 8 months after i bought it, i suspect the carbs may need balancing, would age cause them to go out of balance and could this be the cause of the aforementioned vibration?.

thirdly, when i open the throttle to overtake the bike will hesitate before powering up fully, im thinking its a tuning issue, is there a way to test this theory or is there another known cause? (bike has a motad neta exhaust system if that makes a difference)

cheers peeps, once i get these things sorted this bike is gonna be sweeeeeet! :D

-Foameh

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i have found the first sign that the carbs are out of balance is the idle is erratic and wont stay steady, but if you have a carbtune and twenty minutes spare it can't hurt to do them.

if you havn't got a set they sell for about £50 on the morgan carb tune website, best tool i have ever bought. chris

i have access to a set of carb balancers... not completely sure how to use them but will figure that out as i go along.

idle can be erratic especially when cold, i figured that was just due to the design of the engine and cams.

if you have a manual it will describe it properly.

you need 6mm adapters that screw in holes in the inlet manifolds or inlet rubbers on each carb you have to take out blanking bolts to screw in the adapters then connect the rubber pipes to the tuner,

make sure the bike is normal working temp.

there is a screw between one and two adjust this until one and two are sucking equally, rev it and let it settle and recheck. then do three and four, again there is a screw between three and four.

finally there is a screw in the middle between two and three, this adjusts the two sets together ie 1&2 with 3&4 until all carbs are sucking the same. some bikes are easier than others. hope this helps, chris

big help that mate, will get it sorted during the week, judging by the position of the carbs on this bike im assuming i will need hands like a gynecologist to get to that screw?

big help that mate, will get it sorted during the week, judging by the position of the carbs on this bike im assuming i will need hands like a gynecologist to get to that screw?

you probably will have to take the tank off and set up a temporary tank.

i use a little tank of a child's pitbike i got off ebay, tape it to the frame.

this should allow you access to the adjuster screws with a long flat head screwdriver.

you could really use a manual for the location of the blanking bolts,if not they will be between the carb and the engine somewhere. chris

Hey Maverick like the new banner,

the XJ, get a local garage or bike nut to balance your carbs, for all the use you will get out of guages and adaptors, these will hang in the hut/garage getting rusty, you will notice a big difference after a balance, i.e. response, vibrations, fuel economy, my bike (the old girl) still pushes vibes through my bars 2500-3500rpm, this moves to my right peg at 5500rpm-its the nature of the beast

after you've spent £30 getting the local oily jumper guy to balance your carbs-save a further £30 and get your valve shims checked in the spring ;)

cheers bw, been in contact with the bike club here at Benson and will hopefully be able to get the carbs balanced this week, may also be able to go with the club to the TT next year! XD

cheers bw, been in contact with the bike club here at Benson and will hopefully be able to get the carbs balanced this week, may also be able to go with the club to the TT next year! XD

Thats good BUT, Dont let them fook them up ! ! You've been warned :huh: