Made a new exhaust for the xs400...

bznchris
This post is 4904 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all, It's been a while since I was on here, but I've still been wrenching on the bike! Finally have her in a state I'm happy calling finished, and just wanted to share some updated pics. Since I was last on here, she's gotten new rearsets (Tarozzis), new mini speedo/tach, a larger-piston master cylinder for the dual discs, and a new 2-2 exhaust. One of the pipes on the old exhaust cracked through during a ride, so I started from scratch, picked up some ss tubing, and bent/welded it together. Oh, and I did end up rejetting the carbs for the pod filters and exhaust. I went with 145 main jets and it's running perfect.

old exhaust:

1.jpg

new exhaust:

g.jpg

f.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm feeling those pipes chris, very nice

that's one helluva ride you got there now :thumb:

Thanks drewps! It was a first for me. I didn't know if I could pull it together, but getting the pipes fitting right really isn't all that hard. Just tons of trial and error.

Excellent job, it looks great! I got an XS 400 a while back I been cafenating. I saw your bike on the dotheton website and thought perhaps you may be able to answer a couple of questions I have in regards, I have a 79' which I believe may be a bit different ( I think ours has elecronic ignition , or?)

As for the pipes , I recently picked up a set of very nice chrome mufflers off a 05' road king I am looking at adapting to the stock headers , did you weld extensions in > ???. I was thinking about doing something like what you got going there with the dual upswepts perhaps kinda like the honda magna super sport that they made for only two years. Dont plan on running rearsets like yours so I have to clear the stock brake pedal and foot pegs. any advice on this bike you can give ,I am all ears brother!

Also nice usage of the 750 tank, I have a 77' stocker triple in pristine condition , they are fun bikes. will post pix of build. New here , is that allowed???

got a few builds under my belt so far , did a cx500 last year turned out pretty awesome, can give youtube link if interested...

Right on whiteorbs, welcome! I think the only major difference between our bikes is the ignition. Might have different wheels and brakes and all that stuff...

For the exhaust, i bought a pair of stock xs400 pipes off ebay, cut them off at about a foot down from the head, and welded on several pieces of stainless steel pipe that I bent and rebent until I got right. A word of warning about the xs400's pipes: there's an outer and inner pipe, so when you cut the stock pipes, be sure to weld those together, otherwise you'll have the outer pipe welded to your new pipe and that inner one will just rattle around in there.

Be sure to post up an introduction thread, and the more pics the better!

junununu: Tires are Dunlop ArrowMax front and rear. And the wheels are stock. The rear is a stock xs400 and the front is a stock xs750, both painted.

oldgitonabike: I would love spoked wheels. I would also like to keep dual discs up front though. And at this point, I'm looking for my next cafe project, which must come with spoked wheels. I'm pretty well done working on this girl.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online