2006 DTR125 not starting normally

smokinmonkey
This post is 4914 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok so my bike just suddenly stopped starting on the electric starter (no kick start). Started in the morning, I drove to work. After work it wouldn't start. It was my first time at work with the bike and a few people went out to look so I assumed they flooded it as I forgot to turn the fuel off. So I turned the fuel to off and hit the starter for a bit until the bike got a bit of life ( around 10 min later).. turned fuel on and it started very weak, then built up.

I assumed the problem was flooding so drove home no problem, parked the bike up and ate dinner. Went to go out about an hour and half later. Same problem.

I knew it wasn't flooded. But I turned fuel off to clear it out. Then fuel on and tried to start... nothing. So I pushed the bike forward and back a few meters while trying to start, the headlight got brighter, wee bit of life in the starting sound and then finally started, but again very weak.

Drove to my friends house. Left about 3 hours later. Wouldn't start! I was 1 in the morning so I wasn't standing out all night so I pushed it up a big hill at his and bump started in first gear.. flying home!

First I thought weak battery because of the light being dull and then brightning when I was pushing the bike forward and back. But the electric starter is turning over ok and at it's normal speed etc. Battery doesn't sound weakened.

So what could the problem be?

I read on the internet somewhere to clean the carb and the air filter.. I don't know how to start aobut cleaning the carb. Everyone must assume we all have Haynes manuals or aren't bike newbies lol.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

start with the easiest probable cause, the spark plug.

spark plugs can be funny things once they have been fouled by fuel some never recover.

on a four cylinder bike the other three start and the bad one soon follows so you don't notice much, but because you only have one cylinder an under preforming plug can cause starting problem.

maybe the plug is due a change anyway ,how long you had it in?.

chris

start with the easiest probable cause, the spark plug.

spark plugs can be funny things once they have been fouled by fuel some never recover.

on a four cylinder bike the other three start and the bad one soon follows so you don't notice much, but because you only have one cylinder an under preforming plug can cause starting problem.

maybe the plug is due a change anyway ,how long you had it in?.

chris

I should have mentioned in the top post I changed the plug about a week or two ago.

I should have mentioned in the top post I changed the plug about a week or two ago.

after the potential flooding or before?

Before.. all the first post happened within a few hours on a single day

If the bike is left for half an hour or there abouts then you will need to give it full choke to start it from cold,,,,,so....

Ignition on

full choke

no throttle

neutral gear

hit the start button for a couple of seconds.

Does it sart up straight away when the engine is warm ?

A clean air filter is important !

To check compression,,,,,,plug out and guage in,, open the throttle full, neutral gear, hit the start button for 5 seconds then stop. look at the guage, if it is reading 90psi or less then you have a problem,,,,top end overhall. If its arround the 100psi mark then its not a compression problem.

Turning off the fuel wont help with the starting at all so no poin in doing this,,,,,,,i never turn off my fuel tap !

There is a "nack" to starting most bikes so mabey you just have to find yours !

Any other symtoms happening when trying to start ?

I wasn't using the choke since I thought it was flooded / flooding and thought choke would make it worse... tried it with choke on after the replies and it started first time...

Now I feel a little stupid lol.

Ah well, I'm only learning.. Took the bike out for a rip straight after and got pulled by the police. Thought I'd done something wrong but it was a routine checkpoint.. phew

If the bike is left for half an hour or there abouts then you will need to give it full choke to start it from cold,,,,,so....

Ignition on

full choke

no throttle

neutral gear

hit the start button for a couple of seconds.

Does it sart up straight away when the engine is warm ?

A clean air filter is important !

To check compression,,,,,,plug out and guage in,, open the throttle full, neutral gear, hit the start button for 5 seconds then stop. look at the guage, if it is reading 90psi or less then you have a problem,,,,top end overhall. If its arround the 100psi mark then its not a compression problem.

Turning off the fuel wont help with the starting at all so no poin in doing this,,,,,,,i never turn off my fuel tap !

There is a "nack" to starting most bikes so mabey you just have to find yours !

Any other symtoms happening when trying to start ?

I used to do the same, but after being hauled out of class at college and told to take my bike off the premises because there was fuel covering the car-park, i now do.  Damn sticky floats. :blush:

I used to do the same, but after being hauled out of class at college and told to take my bike off the premises because there was fuel covering the car-park, i now do. Damn sticky floats. :blush:

Aye, i here ya m8,,,,,,

i curently have mine in the conservatory in the house (wife not happy) so i guess i will turn it off,,,,,,,she definatly wouldnt be happy seeing fuel all over the floor :unsure:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online