Missing clutch plates - according to Haynes

Pork Chop
This post is 4920 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I need a little help with the clutch on my '81 xs250.

My clutch was slipping and no amount of adjusting would fix it so I ordered new EBC friction plates and clutch cable. When I removed the existing clutch I discovered that it only had 5 friction plates and 4 plain plates. According to the Haynes manual there should be 7 friction and 6 plain plates.

Should I just replace the 5 friction plates or get another 2 plain plates so I have the full pack as per the manual?

All feed back is really appreciated as this is my first bike and I want to get it back on the road ASAP.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi PorkChop, I would pack it as per the manual. I didn't think to check the quantity when I rebuilt mine. When the clutch lever is fully disengaged there should be no play in the plates whatsoever (i.e. they wont rattle). So just do whatever it takes to achieve this.

How many were in the EBC kit?

Thanks for the replies.

The kit has 7 friction plates. I read somewhere that the '81 has 6 plates but I can't remember where I saw that.

Can I just add 2 more plain steel plates to the old ones or should I replace all the plain plates?

Can anyone with an xs400 help out as they are pretty much the same bike.?

Cheers...

See if you can find a genuine yam parts list for your bike, and check that way, some EBc kits do several different bikes and may come with an extra plate for another model , i have not had this with plates but i did get a clutch spring set with 6 springs in once when i only needed 5 as it was listed for other models you can buy the steel plates individually

if by chance they are the same as the Rd ones let me know i have loads of em and can send you a couple if you need them

I hope this helps, my 78 xs250 and 400 has 7 friction and 6 steel plates, I also looked at http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs400h-1981_model8825/partslist/C-02.html. 81 xs400 showing the some, so I guess yours should do as well.

Update: I ended up putting in 5 friction plates as per Yamaha instructions and replaced the clutch cable and springs. but now it seems like the clutch does not have enough pressure to fully engage. Can any one tell me if putting in extra plates to investigate the problem will cause any issues?

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...