Bent Handlebars

christofeser
This post is 4917 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Came off last Friday, car pulled out on me which caused me to swerve and fall on the right hand side. Once again the engine bars did the trick, but I've come off with one major and two minors. Seeing as I was speeding (unusually :P ), and It was actually my driving which caused the accident (he was merely pulling out of his drive), I'm not to keen on claiming insurance.

Pretty much though the front fender has a huge bit missing out of it, and the indicator light has a bit of the orange lens gone (indicator still works fine though).

The major, however, is that the right bar has become twisted back, which means I have to point them right to go straight. I've bought a new set of bars for a five at an autojumble but they dont look great. Is there any way of twisting them back???

Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Chris

what is wrong with the bars yo have bought ??

you can get new ones from bitzforbikesquite resonably

i may have a set of suzuki GN 250 ones in my shed you can have for the cost of postage they may have a few rust spots but will look ok if kept well polished up , If i still have em that is

Um the ones I bought are like pullbacks so have no real height to them, like These

ANYWAY, how hard is it to change bars? Also, the 250 ones are ideal if you still have em!

Also, how easy would it be to bend? If a bit of heat may be applied? :)

Chris

Is everything else aligned properly?

Have the bars actually bent, or are the forks twisted?

Some pics would help.

The 125 Drag's forks will easily twist if you have an incident.

You can sometimes get away with bracing the front wheel against something and twisting them back...

But you may not know if something else is out of alignment until that critical moment when it fails.

I suggest getting the bike professionally checked over...

I'm pretty sure its just the bars. When the bit in the middle of the bars is in line the front tire is in line etc... it's just when im going along the right handlebar is bent backwards (making it seem like im turning right to keep central). Nonetheless, words have not fallen on deaf ears and I will get it checked soon.

Anyway, are the bars "bendable" ? And would it be worth it? I had a thread on ape hangers a while back where someone suggested heating the bends up and bending the stock bars inwards to make a set of mini-apes. Could this now be done (seeing as im bending them anyway, and if it goes tit's up i've got a new set)??

Chris

Sorry Chris i must have sold em already no sign of em in the shed, i most probably thres em in the box of stuff a guy picked up from me for the GN last year,

Merv

yepp, well, the rear end. I've got the sissy bar still in good nick (allbeit missing two bolts for the luggage rack atm :P )

And yeah I'll pop over this weekend, im actually not busy now if you're free. It shouldn't take too long.

If not i've got both saturday and sunday free, i'll have a tinker with yours, and then we'll go for a ride if ya like, see if the tinkerage has helped...

Sorry Chris i must have sold em already no sign of em in the shed, i most probably thres em in the box of stuff a guy picked up from me for the GN last year,

Merv

dw about it...

thanks anyway!

yepp, well, the rear end. I've got the sissy bar still in good nick (allbeit missing two bolts for the luggage rack atm :P )

And yeah I'll pop over this weekend, im actually not busy now if you're free. It shouldn't take too long.

If not i've got both saturday and sunday free, i'll have a tinker with yours, and then we'll go for a ride if ya like, see if the tinkerage has helped...

cool mate, I'll defo buy that sissy bar off you. I'm going to treat the rust this weekend as well if I can... Sunday morning sound good? Oh I lost my phone by the way so we're going to have to keep in contact on here...

yeah im the tit :P you're the phone losing baghead! :)

Sure thing, maybe I'll have my FENDER sometime soon (hinthint paulwhite :P )

Anyway, time to go boxing :)

Bye for now.

[quote name='christofeser'

Anyway, time to go boxing :)

Bye for now.

are you a packer,,,,,,how much does it pay per hour.......

I don't think you understand what I mean by boxing :P

I mean the one where you punch things, and get punched... or were you being sarcastic? :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online