XS400 Removing Points Cover / Spark Plug Condition

BVD
This post is 4919 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey Guys,

I had my xs400 apart this morning as I was checking the valves; I wanted to check the condition of the points as I have never done this before, but was unable to remove the cover...I was able to remove the screw on the bottom left of the cover, but it seemed like there was something holding it on the right side even though there is no visible screw...it looks like just a big metal plug and I could not figure out how to remove it.DSCF7085.jpg

Also, while I had the spark plugs out I figured I would snap a couple pictures of them...seems to me that there is a bit of carbon fouling on them...is this indicative of an overly rich mixture? After I had the carburetors apart, I feel like I haven't been able to get the fuel mixture right...I think right now I am 3 turns out on the idle mixture screws, because previously it seemed too lean.

Left Plug:DSCF7078.jpg

DSCF7080.jpg

Right Plug:DSCF7083.jpg

DSCF7084.jpg

The leaves are finally starting to come down. Fall is almost here! My helper Fritz:

DSCF7073.jpg

Thanks Guys!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey Guys,

I had my xs400 apart this morning as I was checking the valves; I wanted to check the condition of the points as I have never done this before, but was unable to remove the cover...I was able to remove the screw on the bottom left of the cover, but it seemed like there was something holding it on the right side even though there is no visible screw...it looks like just a big metal plug and I could not figure out how to remove it.DSCF7085.jpg

Also, while I had the spark plugs out I figured I would snap a couple pictures of them...seems to me that there is a bit of carbon fouling on them...is this indicative of an overly rich mixture? After I had the carburetors apart, I feel like I haven't been able to get the fuel mixture right...I think right now I am 3 turns out on the idle mixture screws, because previously it seemed too lean.

Thanks Guys!

Since you have a 1980, you have solid state ignition - no points to check!! You are correct, there is a metal plug inserted at the factory over the top of the rear screw blocking it from removal by folks like us. You must carefully drill out the plug with a drill bit just a little smaller than the opening in the cover. This will allow you to get to the screw so you can inspect the innards.

Yes, your plugs do look a little sooty but did you do a nice long run before removing and checking them? If not, there will be more carbon build up resulting from a lot of idling and/or short, low speed run. Best to ride a bunch of miles at speed before checking the plugs. They should be light grey/tan on the top electrode. About 3 turns out seems proper. Did you replace the VERY SMALL o-rings on the idle mix screws?

ps - like your helper! I have two, a Boxer and a Great Dane, who like to have their heads right in there with me as I work on projects.

Thanks for the help Ollie! Is there any maintenance required at all for the electronic ignition? Is there any reason why I would ever want to look under there? And come to think of it, I had been idling the bike for a while the night before I pulled the plugs. I never did replace those EXTREMELY small o-rings but fear they must be a culprit! For some reason the bike seems harder to start and takes longer to warm up since the last time I took the carbs apart...maybe a carb rebuild is in order for this winter. And that's awesome, a boxer and a great dane! He must be a tall fella!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the help Ollie! Is there any maintenance required at all for the electronic ignition? Is there any reason why I would ever want to look under there? And come to think of it, I had been idling the bike for a while the night before I pulled the plugs. I never did replace those EXTREMELY small o-rings but fear they must be a culprit! For some reason the bike seems harder to start and takes longer to warm up since the last time I took the carbs apart...maybe a carb rebuild is in order for this winter. And that's awesome, a boxer and a great dane! He must be a tall fella!

Not really any maintenance at all for the EI, but it does help to make sure the gasket is good so no water gets in.

On a 30+ yr old bike, replacement of nearly every gasket on the bike is a normal part of a restoration :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online