Horses on the road.

DT Derek
This post is 4936 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Oh god were do I begin.

They dont pay road tax, yet they have signs made up for them to tell drivers that they are about, thats got to cost a fair few bob right?

To my knowledge, they dont have any insurance if they are in an accident with a vehicle.

No anual MOT check, so it could suddenly collapse at any moment.

They travel about about negitive 10mph.

They require you to slow down to pritty much a stop while passing them with the eivl look they give you.

Dog owners are required to pick up their dog`s shite, or are fined 80 quid. Horse shit is about 10 times the size, yet arent required to do anything about it if some plops out onto the road....

....which resluted me almost falling off last night!

Dark single lane back road, came round a tight ish corner, appropriate speed, then smush. Understeered for about half a meter, foot went down to hold the bike up, bloody hell did I get a fright.

Next time I pass one, im going to drop a gear and give it large, absolutely hate them, keep it in the fields!! :angry::angry:

Had to get that off my chest thanks for reading.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CardBoardDave

Had that been two loons on dirt bikes, they would have had a right rogering from the cops, 6 points before they have even got their license, had to wait till their 18 to do any sort of lessons, and probably a big fine aswell.

I think horses are associated with royalty ect, queens horse drawn carriage comes to mind. Suddenly no-one gives a toss.

Chill pill taken B)

Yeah, its just a shame how I nearly have a serious accident due to their ignorance. Had I came off, broken arm, leg, I would have been there all night, mum worryed sick, no more bike, collage ect. Even if they scooped it up and threw it to the side of the road, but obviously thats too much to ask :rolleyes:

Yeah, its just a shame how I nearly have a serious accident due to their ignorance. Had I came off, broken arm, leg, I would have been there all night, mum worryed sick, no more bike, collage ect. Even if they scooped it up and threw it to the side of the road, but obviously thats too much to ask :rolleyes:

There was a time when horse shit was scooped up by the nearest gardener for their roses.

And i wonder, would you be as annoyed if it was a Mcdonalds burger box/pizza box/broken bear bottle/can etc.?

A few years ago a mate of mine had a 100cc scooter and managed to lock the back brake up on a squashed drinks can, he slid for about 20' with the can still under the back wheel before coming off and trashing his scoot, he was only going about 10-15 mph at the time.

Point is, there are many obstacles on the road that need to be avoided. I think you should consider yourself lucky you didn't come off and put it down to experience gained and learn from it for next time.

what came first ,,,the horse or the bike,,?,,,open your eye's lad...you said it was massive,so why put yourself in the shit.....

ALSO

In the good old days, unlike a motorbike when a horse went wrong, all you had to do was shoot it and get another one.

(Post 1 off 2)

Before I start, my wife rides a horse, personally I think they have sloppy steering, spongy brakes, suspicious suspension and the handling isn't great, however ......... I'm not going to be quite as eloquent as the others.

Oh god were do I begin.

By opening your eyes and looking where you are going ?

They dont pay road tax, yet they have signs made up for them to tell drivers that they are about, thats got to cost a fair few bob right?

Sorry,, are you suggesting that you have to have 'road tax' to enable a road sign to be put up ?? Odd, I understood that signs are placed to provide road users with information. Information that you then use to help YOU ride safely. Why would a horse need a sign to say there are horses there?

To my knowledge, they dont have any insurance if they are in an accident with a vehicle?

For the first time (of many) I amgoingt otell you, that YOU are wrong.

No anual MOT check, so it could suddenly collapse at any moment.?

And when did YOU last have one ? YOU are riding a machine, with explosive chemicals in it, at speed, without looking where you are going, ignorant of some basic facts about other road users, and clearly doesn't understand his Highway Code (which is a requirement of riding), I'm afriad YOU are the high risk factor in this equation.

They require you to slow down to pritty much a stop while passing them with the eivl look they give you..?

OK, this gives me lots of information as to the kind of rider you are. Firstly your attitude to other road users, it sucks. Next the reason for the 'dirty look' is because some A-Hole is showing no respect for other road users whatsoever. YOU are a bad rider, YOU give the vast majority of good riders a bad name. Here's some freeby advice, change your attitude or sell your bike. I can only imagine your response when a 40tonn truck passes you giving you no room, putting you at risk. I can picture the rant now....

Dog owners are required to pick up their dog`s shite, or are fined 80 quid. Horse shit is about 10 times the size, yet arent required to do anything about it if some plops out onto the road......?

And do you know the reason why ONLY dog owners are required to do this?? No I didn't think so, Well go find out, a hint, it's a medical reason.

....which resluted me almost falling off last night!

.. and this has nothing to do with anyone else but yourself. IF you fall of your bike, it is YOUR responsibility, no-one elses. YOU failed to clearly observer the road, YOU were not riding in accordance with the road, weather, lighting or rider capabilities. This is an important lesson, YOU YOU YOU are responsible for everything you and your bikes does. When you learn this you will become a motorcyclist, right now you are not a motorcyclist, you are an accident, just waiting for the right opportunity.

Dark single lane back road, came round a tight ish corner, appropriate speed, then smush. Understeered for about half a meter, foot went down to hold the bike up, bloody hell did I get a fright...?

'appropirate' is the wrong word, 'too fast for the conditions' would be my words. Appropriate means that 'you can stop in within the distance you can see to be clear'. You could not see the road to be clear, and you could not stop.

Next time I pass one, im going to drop a gear and give it large, absolutely hate them, keep it in the fields!! :angry::angry:

You had better hope it's not my wife then. You will of course live to tell after I catch you. But you'll have a limp for the rest of your life. Get a grip you moron, riders like you are menace to everyone, you have no idea at all what it takes to ride a Horse, any prick can ride a bike (as is evident), but it takes real skill to ride a horse.

continued.......

(Post 2 off 2)

Dont drop a gear when passing horses, roll off the throttle and give a wide berth, it's no fun being on a startled horse I've done it. give me a bike any day. Take a chill pill young Derek ;)

Perhaps the kind you find in rat poison ?

, queens horse drawn carriage comes to mind. Suddenly no-one gives a toss.

And the two Princes ride bikes...... your point being ?

Theres a lot more than royalty ride horses, usually women, mums wives girlfriends daughters

I think you get my point ;)

And mine.

what came first ,,,the horse or the bike,,?,,,open your eye's lad...you said it was massive,so why put yourself in the shit.....

Consider this, without Horses, there would be no roads.......

--

Really, your attitude stinks, count the number of "YOU"'s in the above respons, go away and get some instruction and attitude adjustment. Then come back and joint eh community of motorcyclists. Right now you are just another twat on a 125.

I make no appologies whatsoever for the above response, you really are a twat.

----

OK, so I've given you my oppinion, now what should you do?

Fisrt off, open your eyes, red triangles mean danger. So 'Danger Horses' would come to mind. So you should expect to see horses and horse crap. Use this information to plan your ride.

When you see a horse, dip your clutch and drop your revs right off, hang back a little until the rider knows you are there, you will know they know because the line and speed of the horse will change. Often they are not riding long distance on roads and will turn off into a bridleway. Wait a little to see. Taking this approach, most horse riders will indicate that they are ready for you to pass. They may even pull into a gateway and steady the horse.

Pass the horse in the highets gear you can , keeping your revs as low as possible and slipping the clutch to keep the power going. You should be no more than a few miles an hourse faster than them.

Give the rider as much room as is possible, if this means the off-side gutter, then so-be-it, you have a DT it can handle it.

Now, most importantly, when you get past the horse continue with the low revs - remember that the sound from your pipes is louder behind you, get at least 100 meters from the horse before starting to open the bike up again.

A final thought for you, when you spook that horse, it's you it is getting mad with, and it will kick out, run and behave in an unpredictabel manner - think of your own vulnerability at this point, if it takes you off the bike because of your actions then the accident is your fault, so no 'no-win no-fee' compensation claim to consider while you are lying in your hospital bed.

He's only 16 Gas...a bit to learn...too many hormones and all

I appriciate that, and hence the rather full on open-ness, hopefully he will take this on board and learn from it. Sue rides neddies, so I know only too well the outcome of such stupidity when riding a bike.

My daughter is 16, if she came out with the sort of stuff in the OP, well actually she wouldn't.

I've tried to pass on my experiences to boys of this age, and it seams the only way they listen and don't try to give attitude back is when you face them with rather straight facts, then they normally listen with a sheepish look on their face. A good sign of whether thay listen is if they engage with you again - Then I have no problem with them.

I mean, look at Steve, Foamy, he was just a young guy but the attude was the polar opposite, he asked, listened and learned. and then bought a Jawa.... Oh well!

It really has touched a nerve with me this one :huh:

to be fare,i have slid on horse shit that i didn.t see,, and b4 you say im another inexperianced moron i was a currier for two years ,,then set about putting 119,000 miles on my jawa,,and only crashed my bikes twice in 28 years not my fault, both times i claimed on other parties insurance,,, i went to tunisia a couple of years beck ,and the horses pulling carrages over their were wearing what looked like a hammock under their tail to catch any poo,,i cant find anything on google to show you,,but i don't see why we can't do the same over here,,you must admit ,,it is unsightley to say the least..

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online