Tyres - How many miles do you get?

Cov_AL
This post is 4916 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys and gals,

I've done about 5500 miles on my XVS950 now, and need some new rubber.

I was expecting a bit more from the bridgestones, especially the front one!

Front tyre is duel compound and has worn a lot more on the soft sides than the harder centre.

I'm really starting to feel it and am loosing faith in it's grip.

Nevermind I figured, time to stump up and get some new tires - think I'll try the dunlops instead...

Spoke to my local dealer earlier and have been quoted £250 for a pair of Bridgestones and £270 for the Dunlops!!!

The guy also said that bridgestone and dunlop don't have these tyres in stock!?! so could be 3 or 4 weeks!

I'm a bit gobsmacked.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well if this is any help to ya,,,,,my 600 is €70 for the front and €105 for the rear. They are Bridgestone. I get them from my local bike shop, dont know if he does a good deal for me or what but they are fair enough price, me thinks.

One front tyre lasts as long as two back tyres. Dont know really how many miles i get but me thinks its arround the 5500 or 6000 mile mark.

HTH B)

The guy also said that bridgestone and dunlop don't have these tyres in stock!?! so could be 3 or 4 weeks!

I'm a bit gobsmacked.

Me too :unsure: My mate has a bike shop , and if he orders tyres before 4pm , Any make &size , and the"re delivered next day,:) , Try another dealer ,

Jeez O thats a heck of a price :o

the bridgestone BT45's on my old diversion are £75 each

Cheers for the link, but they ain't got them either...

These tyres are seeming pretty rare!

Anyone else with an XVS950 had to get new rubber yet?

Had a quick look at the specs of the tyres, seems the 1300 and 950 use the same size rear tyre. Many 1300 riders in the US have replaced the stock 170/70 16 rear tyre with a slightly larger 180/70 16 which by all accounts is cheaper, easier to source and corrects the speedo error.

Not sure if its any help to you but could be food for thought...?

(quick example here: http://1300tourer.com/content/2007-1300-tourer-looking-replacement-sizes-stock-tires - if you search that forum there's loads of discussions on this)

I'd also recommend giving Woosters () a call, they're usually cheap and quick on delivery [their website is a bit pants for showing their stock]

650 Dragstar

Avon Venom tyres front and rear.

19,000 miles and still counting!! :D

19000 miles - WOW!!! I've heard of people going 'Darkside' [car tyres] on the 1300 to achieve that kind of mileage!! What's the secret?

Avons are well-known for lasting a long time and giving superb grip in all weathers.

Their Venom sets are designed for Cruisers.

No secret, either - I ride pretty hard and have almost no chicken strips left on mine.

Just good tyres!

ive heard of avon venom's and its a tyre i'm interested in as a replacement on my xvs1300 BUT i'm not so sure they do a venom in 170/70/16 .... please tell me i'm wrong ?

ive heard of avon venom's and its a tyre i'm interested in as a replacement on my xvs1300 BUT i'm not so sure they do a venom in 170/70/16 .... please tell me i'm wrong ?

No Avon tyre for the 1300 :(http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorbike/xvs-v-star-1300-tourer-midnight-star

Guest LaFiamma

Ive stock tires on mine, its an '03 650 and spent most of its life in a garden till i bought it 18 months ago or so, 15,000 miles later and still lots of life left in the original Bridgstone tires ;)

@tTaskmaster - Yeah, Having come from the Dragstar My first thought was Avons... shame they don't do the sizes :(

I've managed to get the dunlops at trade price - £206.68 for the pair.

Still seems too much, but I guess you'll always want to pay less...

Gonna see if I can get them fitted next week - that'll be 6000 miles then (hopefully the dunnies'll last a bit longer!)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online