Rust on frame

JohnnyK
This post is 4953 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

I've got a few spots of rust on the frame of my lovely Drag.. they were there when bought. Can anyone recommend some paint I can get (preferably in a store rather than online), and a method for application? I'm guessing it's a case of sanding the rust down and then applying, but I'm not very good with this sort of thing so any advice would be appreciated. If it isn't raining on Sunday I'd like to give the bike some TLC.

Cheers,

John

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm not disreputing what christofeser is saying, but, why heatproof paint on the frame?

Why not the good old fashioned "HAMMERITE"

+1 ^^^^

I think you will find most heatproof paint needs high temps to cure properly, and is not a good thing to paint a frame with, unless you intend heating the frame up that is.

+1 ^^^^

Forgive my age, but does that translate as "I am"

+1 ^^^^

Forgive my age, but does that translate as "I am"

It means i agree with what the above poster said ( In this case you mike). :)  

ach well mine was for some rust right next to where the exhaust pipes were, SO I was merely trying to use the resources available to me.

Agreed, Hammerite will do it really nicely, but if I've got heat proof paint, and I'm just down the road, then it will save a couple of squid maybe?

Oh, but i might need my paint still, seeing as a car pulled out of his drive whilst i was zooming down the road (main road) and my bike is now a bit dinged up :P