dt50 not running after top end rebuild. please help

ryanwilki
This post is 4956 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well back in the days of twin shock trail bikes lived in my loving care :lol: a likew DT50m with:-

Ported 60cc Italian high compression big bore kit. Autesia i think they were called.

16mm carb

K+N filter

skimmed head

Point stator plate, moved to advance ig 3deg, additional condenser

Full Fresco pipe, cut open smoothed, stinger cut down to concentrate and move power up

With octane booster, (rather more than reccomended) after being set up for temperature, points cleaned etc she was good for 70mph in absolutly perfect conditions.

A reliable 45mph was doable anywhere, uphill to a degree.

Without the rose tinted goggles, the bike was a liability. A bastard to start, expensive relatively on fuel, needed very expensive 2 stroke, needed constant maintainance and very difficult to get the performance from, like a modern pv bike with the PV pegged open but with less bottom end. I loved it, king of the hill breifly as i had the bike to beat till it got nicked.

wow, what a bike! cant beleive you got 70 out of it :o i bet you were proud ;)

i got my mixture sorted before and cleaned the baffle. I can get 35mph now but have to rev it really high. Is it usual that you have to rev the arse of it to get it to go properly? seems like im ragging it abit?

so how faster do you think it will go if i put a k&N pod filter on?

also, will there be restrictors in my exhaust? ae they removable without cutting it up?

cheers for all your help, wouldnt have my bike on the road if it werent for you guys :) im very grateful

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

its running much better now. Ive done 80 odd miles on it and it feels more powerful. Ive set the tyres to 32psi each and on a flat i managed to get 45mph :o but it died as soon as i reached 46mph so wont be doing that again lol. IS that because it overheated as id been on it over an hour.

Whats the best way to start a 2 stroke? Do i need to use any throttle at all? Or do i just give it a bit of choke and kick it over?

Its wierd because at dinner today it took about 20 kicks and then when i set off to go home about 6 hours later it fired first time?

Ryan :)

my dt used to start first kick without choke, be it in pissing rain or the heat of summer, if your is struggling sometimes my first idea would be to check the various rubbers for signs of an airleak, 46 seems reasonable for a DT50, they are only aircooled and if you have been using it for a while then it may put up a bit of a fight when you try and thrash it.

its a 20-something year old bike, with 5 gears, going faster than it was designed to go, with a piston the size of an egg, its a bit like getting wine from a turnip theres only so far you can push it