Foamys new ride

wild foamy
This post is 4742 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey peeps

as requested, here are the pics of the new bike, havent named it yet it will have to earn one.

1989 XJ600, payed £450 for it, 37k on the clock but Partial service history and lots of money spent on upkeep over the years looking over the reciepts. its my first bike bike and for what i paid for it if i throw it down the road i wont be too fussed, rather wreck this than a more expensive bike.

fec344a4.jpg

22376b3c.jpg

9a189f7b.jpg

1abdd5f7.jpg

i seem to have a thing for mature ladies, first the '89 DT and now this... but my god they are fun to ride XD

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It looks in bloody good nick for an old bike, and for so little ££££

Now, are you going to sort out the Jawa ?

Great looking steed Stevo-money well spent, that wee beastie will easily go round the clock twice if its looked after-no kidding, got yourself a classic m8 B)

Squires 2011 is a go for sure, i aint missing another one!.

im not going to make the same mistake with this bike as i did with the DT, im keeping this little badboy ^.^, planning to keep it mostly original in terms of no mini indicators or radical changes to the bodywork, but a few practical mods like hotgrips, bigger screen and maybe some other bits and bobs.

as for the Jawa, once i am settled in at benson i will hopefully get it over there and get cracking, i have discovered that the XJ uses the same diameter stanchions as the Jawa, so with a bit of luck i may be able to use XJ/FZ stanchions with the existing jawa bottom ends, then all it needs is a new headlight as i dropped an adjustable spanner on the old one >.<

Result £450 its a bargain, that's alot of bike for the money, is it taxed and tested with my eyes it looks like 02 07 on the tax disc, unless the guy you bought it off chucked the road tax back to dvla

cheers al

erm, no. slight problem there... that tax disc is from 02 07

those pics were taken before (1st one was at a services en route) the bikes first MOT which it failed, it now has an MOT with only an advisory for corroded brake discs, and considering it has been stood for nearly 2 years in total im not surprised.

however, im on leave from the RAF for a week, and ive left all my vehicle documents in my room on base, so i havent got a reference number with which to tax it :(

couple of slight problems, noticed it was rattling whilst i was taking it for its MOT, no idea if thats the cam chain or something, and im getting some high frequency vibration throughout the rev range, makes my hands and feet go tingly, is it fuck or a common fault?

• 4 months later...

Exactly the same model as I have.

Let me know how you find it... Just started riding this after some 20 years away from road bikes... nippy little number.

seems pretty heavy for such a small bike though. How are the electrics on your XJ? My fuse box is held together with blu tac and the kill switch shorts as you ride along, but other than that, she's a blinder... Put a bloody sensible pair of horns on though... the standard OEM horn is pants... Now has 139Db blasters, run off a relay... Hmm! That should make 'em sit up and listen...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Foamy

Here's a link for an '92 XJ600 manual (that's the oldest that I could find). There may not have been a lot of changes between '89 and '92. This shows exploded views and part numbers. Hope it helps.

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xj600sd-seca-ii-1992_model9886/partslist/

Link for numerous other Yamaha Manuals

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-motorcycle_model16707/

Good Luck

Rocky

• 1 month later...

That bike remind me of days , when riding was not taken for granted . Not like today ,when you buy a bike on one day and after some days you feel like upgrading the bike because new versions start roolin out in market with better technologies .

• 3 weeks later...
Guest martinread

The rattle is probably the cam chain, try the tensioner to see its not loose or stuck in place, if it's been stood for a while it is probably stuck. The vibration might be the engine mountings are not torqued up enough and sending vibs up the head stock, check to see that the head stock bearings are not to tight/loose as this will give you tingly fingers and make the handling exciting. Nice looking bike tho.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online