Fuel Gadge?

Connor dt
This post is 4938 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It would not be worth it. Anyway fuel tank is prob to small to hold one.

Use your trip meter, put it to zero every time ya fill up then ya will know when your comming near empty. B) simples

HELLO :)

I was thinking about gettin a digital speedo for my 2001 dtr but was wondering if there is any way of gettin a fule gadge fitted in it ?

Thanks as always Connor

Digitals are expensive, but can be transfered to future bikes should you upgrade, so keep your old speedo ;).

A fuel gauge would be a pita to fit and not worth it imo. You would need to modify the tank to take a fuel level sender unit and the necessary wiring to suit. Personally, I would prefer to push my bike 3 miles to the petrol station again, twice, than go through the hassle of fitting one. Besides whats up with the reserve, I can get around 30-35 miles from it, which is more than enough to get me to a fuel station, should i remember I'm on reserve that is :unsure:.

Edit: Dammit Pat, you been having typing lessons again, keep beating me to it :P

Edit: Dammit Pat, you been having typing lessons again, keep beating me to it :P

Yep, gettin 15 lessons a day :lol::P

Ya can get a digital spedo for a mountain-bike for cheep and it works ok ish if ya set it up right. I put one on my DT just to have a clock for my trip to Squires. Unfortunatly when i went over 70mph i think i blew it up, i guess not meant for that speed,,,,,,,but the good news the clock still works.:D

Ya can get a digital spedo for a mountain-bike for cheep and it works ok ish if ya set it up right. I put one on my DT just to have a clock for my trip to Squires. Unfortunatly when i went over 70mph i think i blew it up, i guess not meant for that speed,,,,,,,but the good news the clock still works.:D

I think im goin to get a proper 1 :)

Also mate my bike struggles to get over 60-65mph iv taken out the reed, but not the exhusts restriction i was wondering if there is anything else to do :)

I think im goin to get a proper 1 :)

Also mate my bike struggles to get over 60-65mph iv taken out the reed, but not the exhusts restriction i was wondering if there is anything else to do :)

Let me get this right, You have taken out the reed and it still runs? :blink:

Edit, Not thinking right, thought for a minute you meant the reed valves :blush:

The reed switch will let the reves rev full, But with the exhaust not done the engine cant get rid of the gasses fast enough so this retards the engine, Therefor ya have to do the 2 things. Take your exhaust off and have a look ta see what kind of restriction it has. You have a 2001 bike so probably in the neck of it where it bolts to the exhaust port.

Be carefull cutting it out,,,,,,,,,,,it seemes from another post someone has made a balls of there pipe.

The reed switch will let the reves rev full, But with the exhaust not done the engine cant get rid of the gasses fast enough so this retards the engine, Therefor ya have to do the 2 things. Take your exhaust off and have a look ta see what kind of restriction it has. You have a 2001 bike so probably in the neck of it where it bolts to the exhaust port.

Be carefull cutting it out,,,,,,,,,,,it seemes from another post someone has made a balls of there pipe.

I was goin to get a Big One Exhust soon so i was just goin to leave it for know, do you think i should re attach the reed to stop damage?

Guest CardBoardDave

do you think i should re attach the reed to stop damage?

It all depends if you can stop yourself getting hooked on redlining every where,

Its harder than you think belive me

I was goin to get a Big One Exhust soon so i was just goin to leave it for know, do you think i should re attach the reed to stop damage?

No, reed left out will be fine.

If ya get a Full system Big One, then you will have to rejet your carb.

Is it difficult to rejet? Also How :)

Hard ta tell ya over a computer !

Carb off,,,,take out main jet,,,,,,put in slightly bigger jet,,,,,,,carb on,,,,,,,play arround with air screw,,,,,,,then play arround with idle screw. Not as easy as sounds if ya dont haave an engine head !

Nite now :closedeyes:

Here's a solution.......

Buy yourself a Garmin Zumo 500/550. You get a digital speed readout (and accurate, not like the crap on the bike) and also a fuel gauge. The Zumo will even tell you when you're fuel is running low (obviously there is some setting up to do).

You also get the added benefit of knowing where you are! and if you choose, you can use it to find places too......

But to be honest, I'd just use the trip and figure out how many miles you get on a tank,

For a good digital speedo, that is very accurate (and still requires setting up ) then Trail Tech have some superb units that are very small here -> Trail Tech I have a trailtech unit in my TTR after the OE speedo fell apart...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online