DT125 Oil Questions

smokinmonkey
This post is 4888 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Bike Model: 2006 DT125R SM

OK since I have bough the bike I haven't got a chance to ride it, been working everyday etc. So it's just been sitting covered out the back of the house. A good thing too, as I noticed it is leaking oil, just a small amount over the period of 3 days so far.

The oil is black, so I'm assuming it's 2 stroke / engine oil thats leaking somewhere. I'm off again on thursday so will try and see where it is coming from.

Q1. Are there any common oil leak problems with the DT125?

Q2. Am I right in assuming that the 2 stroke oil is used as engine oil as well as being used to mix with the fuel? Also is it possible to drain the 2 stroke oil? I want to add my own, not sure what the guy before was using..

Also a good thing I didnt take the bike out yet as I noticed the (transmission?) oil is low. I'm guessing its the transmission oil as it's the oil thats not the 2 stroke oil! haha... Yeah I don't know anything about bikes.

Q3. Should I just top up this oil? I read in the book it takes 10w30 ... or should I do a full change?

I also noticed two open ended plastic pipes, like over flow pipes? Can anyone tell me what they are for?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

your engine is not like a cars , it has two stroke oil which it mixes with the fuel eliminating the need for engine oil.

And as you have pointed out there is also gearbox oil . This is not Two stroke oil its more your conventional oil,

Chris

Bike Model: 2006 DT125R SM

OK since I have bough the bike I haven't got a chance to ride it, been working everyday etc. So it's just been sitting covered out the back of the house. A good thing too, as I noticed it is leaking oil, just a small amount over the period of 3 days so far.

The oil is black, so I'm assuming it's 2 stroke / engine oil thats leaking somewhere. I'm off again on thursday so will try and see where it is coming from.

Q1. Are there any common oil leak problems with the DT125? Not that i'm aware off, only time i had any significant oil leak was when i forgot to put the copper washer back on the gearbox oil drain plug.

Q2. Am I right in assuming that the 2 stroke oil is used as engine oil as well as being used to mix with the fuel? Also is it possible to drain the 2 stroke oil? I want to add my own, not sure what the guy before was using.. The engine (crankshaft, piston etc) are separate from the gearbox. The 2-stroke flows around the engine with the fuel/air mixture which lubricates the crankshaft/bearings and piston ( see pic below), the gearbox oil only lubricates the gears and clutch area.. Yes you can drain the 2-stroke its in a plastic tank under the left rear side panel.

550pxarbeitsweisezweita.gif

Also a good thing I didnt take the bike out yet as I noticed the (transmission?) oil is low. I'm guessing its the transmission oil as it's the oil thats not the 2 stroke oil! haha... Yeah I don't know anything about bikes. Sounds like its the transmission oil that is leaking.

Q3. Should I just top up this oil? I read in the book it takes 10w30 ... or should I do a full change? Depends on the mileage since last change, if it was me i would change the oil. Probably have to get 10/40w as 10/30 is hard to find in shops. http://www.opieoils....hese-ester.aspx (paid up member of the forum get a discount at opie oils)

I also noticed two open ended plastic pipes, like over flow pipes? Can anyone tell me what they are for? They are overflow pipes, one for the coolant and two for the carb(fuel). there should be at least 3 pipes

vez thats one handy illustration , it can be a nightmare trying to convince a novice that thier carb fills the crankcase before it getting to thier cylinders, especially people with only four stroke experience. chris

Yeh i"ll second Criss66" A well answered reply Vez,,,,, Your a two- stroker thru & thru,;)

And i wouldn"t empty two-stroke tank, coz you"l have to bleed at the pump etc." leave well alone," Just add oil of yuor choice, all good oils nowadays they will mix, without gell -ing i have experimented in clear bottles with various oils , ;)

• 1 month later...

HI there

I see this sis the correct place for my question.. I did a post regarding a dt125 water-cooled yamaha.. but got no response yet... I just re-did the engine, and the mechanic also did the carb.. Problems im having now is Fuel in the gearbox oil... i think its a 198x model yamaha dt125... I bought it at an auction..

Can anyone tell me if the seals could be damaged.. (although they are new, the bike seized up first start.. the mechanic says no-problem.. but he also said alot of other things too :)).. or how the petrol can get into the gearbox?

This happened because i left the fuel tap on overnight and i know this shouldn't make a difference.. what im actually asking is how it gets into the gearbox..

Thanks in advance

Antony

HI there

I see this sis the correct place for my question.. I did a post regarding a dt125 water-cooled yamaha.. but got no response yet... I just re-did the engine, and the mechanic also did the carb.. Problems im having now is Fuel in the gearbox oil... i think its a 198x model yamaha dt125... I bought it at an auction..

Can anyone tell me if the seals could be damaged.. (although they are new, the bike seized up first start.. the mechanic says no-problem.. but he also said alot of other things too :)).. or how the petrol can get into the gearbox?

This happened because i left the fuel tap on overnight and i know this shouldn't make a difference.. what im actually asking is how it gets into the gearbox..

Thanks in advance

Antony

The reason you probably didn't get a reply is because you haven't introduced yourself in the bar section of the forum ;). Manners go aloooong way on this forum B)

The reason you probably didn't get a reply is because you haven't introduced yourself in the bar section of the forum ;). Manners go aloooong way on this forum B)

Thanks for the heads up Vez.. I wasn't sure what you meant by the "Bar" but i was assuming you meant the column on the left... I hope i got it right :) cause i need to sort this bike asapp..

Regards

Antony

Thanks for the heads up Vez.. I wasn't sure what you meant by the "Bar" but i was assuming you meant the column on the left... I hope i got it right :) cause i need to sort this bike asapp..

Regards

Antony

The bar section is where you posted your question, that should have been in here, and an introduction ( where you live what your called etc) about yourself in there. But its no big deal.  :thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online