DT 125 R

DeTee
This post is 4894 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Have you tried a Yamaha dealer, last time i checked they still sold them, was a few years back though.

Failing that, there is a guy from Portugal on EBAY does pattern plastics for the DTR.

If its not too much to ask, an introduction in the bar would be nice ;).

Got me plastics en route! £137 for all of them, Front + Rear guard + all 4 side panels, pretty cheap I thought.

One more thing, will YZ Plastics fit this bike? And where does anyone know where I can get colord chains + sprockets from for this bike? Again, will YZ ones fit?

cheers, Arron

Good to hear, Where you get them from?

The YZ mudguards will fit, but the rear needs some modifying from what i hear, although can't say for sure what year YZ.

As for the coloured chains and sprockets. I have seen blue Renthal sprockets and gold chains on a DTR but never any of the coloured ones i think you mean, thats not to say they aren't available for the DTR.

A suggestion would be to fit an o-ring chain and sprocket setup suited to the standard DTR, there is nothing wrong with the chain and sprockets on the DTR as standard imo.

I was going to type a whole load of reasons as to why fitting a YZ sprocket and chain setup would be a waste of time and money and be basically pointless, i will save you from all that and just say no they don't fit :rolleyes: .

HTH

Vez.

I got all the plastics + a nice gfx kit from my local dealer, and ok, standard chain + sprokets it is then!

All the stuff with o-ring setup etc is just something i really cba with, and by the sounds of it, money that dosen't need spending.

However, I am pretty intruged into changing this to supermoto, but, some people say its pointless.. (these are the ones who can't drift I reckon :rolleyes: ) but i just love SM just not sure if the DT is "good enough" for it, because the DT 125 X sucked reeeal hard.

O-ring is the standard chain for a DTR, but the cheaper heavy duty work just as well but require more regular cleaning and oiling etc. Apologies if that was confusing.

I say super moto'ed DTR's are pointless, and i can drift one in standard form on road and even better off road   :P ( requires the PV pinning open though).

But thats no reason to say its not worth it, if its what you want to do, easiest way i know of is too fit a DTX front end  :lol: and wheels.

Not a fan of the DTX, but they ain't that bad. If you can ride it too its full potential that is  ;).

Edit: This is worth a read about chains http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/21781-chain-advice/

First of all any chain with the right pitch and length (ofc) will fit the DT there are quite a few places that sell different coloured sprockets and chains but iirc the coloured sprockets tended to be a softer metal than standard so wore out quicker. Id leave the sprockets if its for the road tbh but the chain depends on how much your willing to spend, id personally go for a good o-ring one, i wouldnt touch mx ones with out any seals (just me) x-ring chains are also good and hold more lube? Been a while since i read up on them but thats roughly right.

Are you painting the tank?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

looking good :thumb:

Questions: :P.

How did the PV from a YZ fit?, afaik they are a blade type PV unlike the barrel type from the DTR? Any Pics?

What flywheel has been fitted?

Where you get the port flowing done? Did they smooth/polish the inlet?

The jets size:

Its common to fit a 240 main jet when pinning the PV open or fitting a PV servo. But with the mods done on yours it may be worth trying a few larger sizes. OG on here as a 250 main and hasn't got the portflowing etc, and his runs quite well from all counts.

Didn't see it in your list, but fitting a pipercross air filter will give a slight increase in airflow compared to standard. As will removing the snorkel from the top of the air-box, (not advised if using the bike for off-roading imo) this also changes the sound quite a bit and some people don't like the sound of the induction.