Which engine oil and 2 stroke oil for 1993 DT50 ?

ryanwilki
This post is 4952 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

Which oil should i buy? I need some 2 stroke oil and some engine oil for a 93 DT50.

Also, my gearbox is pretty clunky and sometimes seems stiff and doesnt go into neutral very well. Could this be due to bad/no gearbox oil? How do i check the gearbox oil?

Thanks in advance :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

Which oil should i buy? I need some 2 stroke oil and some engine oil for a 93 DT50.

Also, my gearbox is pretty clunky and sometimes seems stiff and doesnt go into neutral very well. Could this be due to bad/no gearbox oil? How do i check the gearbox oil?

Thanks in advance :)

No gearbox oil will make the gears very clunky and stiff as can too much oil. There should be a short dip stick on the oil filler cap that has markings on with the level, check it when the bike is cold and upright.

Check here for oils https://www.opieoils...ngine-oils.aspx pick your model and year etc and it will tell you what they recommend ;) .

iirc it should be 10-40w for the gearbox and semi synthetic 2-stroke for the engine, go with a brand like silkolene and you should be ok.

HTH

Or, PM Sir Cardboard-Dave or one of his 'staff', you might not get a reply cos he's 'Major-league'

B)

• Like 1

hmm.. Sorry but im confused :rolleyes:

So, up to now i have gathered that: You have 2 stroke engine oil (that is either mixed with the petrol or injected by the modern type pump - which i have), then you have the ordinary engine oil that goes into the top of the engine (into a hole that has a screw in cap thing) and is drained by a 17mm nut underneath the engine. And then there is gearbox oil; which i have no idea where is, where it is drained, or filled back up.

As you can tell im a total newb lol.

The link you gave only sells the 2 stroke oil (mixed with petrol) for my bike, they dont stock the oil that sits in the sump :(

Can anybody tell me what/where i should be looking? Ive had a look on halfords but they only sell engine oil (that goes in the sump) for 4T bikes. And motorworld dont sell bike oil at all.

Please help :unsure:

Guest CardBoardDave

So, up to now i have gathered that:

You have 2 stroke engine oil (that is either mixed with the petrol or injected by the modern type pump - which i have)

Yep thats right

, then you have the ordinary engine oil that goes into the top of the engine (into a hole that has a screw in cap thing) and is drained by a 17mm nut underneath the engine. And then there is gearbox oil; which i have no idea where is, where it is drained, or filled back up.

Thats the gearbox oil.

From what i have picked up this last week,

The reason why You dont need engine oil to lube the bottom end in 2 strokes is that its all done by the piston during its cycle. ie pulls oil and petrol into the crank case thus lubing the two? end bearings before forcing the clean mix into the chamber this happens so fast some many times that the bearings never get dry.

As you can tell im a total newb lol.

Me too mate

The link you gave only sells the 2 stroke oil (mixed with petrol) for my bike, they dont stock the oil that sits in the sump :( see above

I use atf in the gearbox because i was told by a man that knows his stuff that thats what they used to do back in the day racing and to be honest its made it fell much more reponsive. Drain and then flush the old out.

Its common to get the two mixed up with a 2-stroke bike being different from a 4-stroke or car etc.

The links sells all the oils you will need. ;). But, they can also be bought from a motorcycle shop once you know what to look/ask for.

Firstly. You want a 10-30w gearbox oil like this 1 http://www.opieoils....with-wet-clutch . This goes into the right-hand side of the engine, the black screw plug, on the inside of this plug there should be a dipstick with marks on for the oil level. You should check this oil level weekly and top up as required, although it shouldn't need topping up unless there is a leak or other problem.

Secondly you will need 2-stroke oil like this http://www.opieoils....for-motorcycles This will go into the plastic tank, which from memory is located to the left of the seat or under the seat. This will need topping up regularly as like Dave says it gets burned up with the petrol to lube the piston and bearings.

Hope this is a little clearer, if not let us know which parts need clarification B)

Vez.

Thanks again for the replies. I fully understand it all now. Youve made it very clear :)

After work i went to a bike shop and asked for some 10w-30 gearbox oil for a 2-stroke and some semi-synthetic 2 stroke oil.

He said that 10w-30 isnt common in the uk and it doesnt matter whether i get 10w-40 or 10w-30. He only had 10w-40 and it was cheap so i just got that. He said he's used it before in dt's which made up my mind.

Anyway, my 2 stroke tank is now full and my gearbox oil has been changed, all good now and changes smoother!

Thanks for the help!

oh and before i go, does anybody know how to set the 2 stroke oil pump. The guy in the bike shop said the cable has to be set right so that the mixture of air/fuel and 2 stroke oil is perfect so that it doesnt smoke too much. He said that there will be 2 lines, one on the pump and one on the disc that the cable goes round. He said to match them up by adjusting the cable and i will be good to go.

BUT.... i cant see any lines, i think i can see one on the disc but none on the actual pump. Does anybody know what to do??

Cheers

Thanks again for the replies. I fully understand it all now. Youve made it very clear :)

After work i went to a bike shop and asked for some 10w-30 gearbox oil for a 2-stroke and some semi-synthetic 2 stroke oil.

He said that 10w-30 isnt common in the uk and it doesnt matter whether i get 10w-40 or 10w-30. He only had 10w-40 and it was cheap so i just got that. He said he's used it before in dt's which made up my mind.

Anyway, my 2 stroke tank is now full and my gearbox oil has been changed, all good now and changes smoother!

Thanks for the help!

oh and before i go, does anybody know how to set the 2 stroke oil pump. The guy in the bike shop said the cable has to be set right so that the mixture of air/fuel and 2 stroke oil is perfect so that it doesnt smoke too much. He said that there will be 2 lines, one on the pump and one on the disc that the cable goes round. He said to match them up by adjusting the cable and i will be good to go.

BUT.... i cant see any lines, i think i can see one on the disc but none on the actual pump. Does anybody know what to do??

Cheers

This is definitely a 'ain't broke don't fix it' moment. Yamaha pumps are incredibly reliable and providing you dont run out of oil (get that one in early) i would forget it exists.

:lol::lol::lol: ^^^^ Bet you did Cynic.

If it was my pump i would leave it alone unless there is no white-ish smoke when the bike is started cold and also at high revs once warm.

Yes and dont use car engine oil in the gear box , they have anti- friction agents in them, [ clutch slip] use a motor-cycle oil .;)

Yeh cynic runs his a bit lean . tight suvern git, didn"t buy 2stoke for saturday,:lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online