650 Dragstar - just too darn quiet!!

Jinx
This post is 3935 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

cheapest option is to drill a few holes in the backplate.

I drilled 2 9mm holes in each exhaust, and the sound is a lot better. In the beginning i had the idea someone was driving behind me :)

Peter

Highway Hawk, Vance & Hines.... Most of them are plenty loud.

If you want a deeper sound, then all you can do is get a better exhaust as Ttaskmaster says. Alternatively if you just want to change it from the current 'wussy whisper'drill it!

I drilled 6x6mm holes and it sounds ok now!

It's not a "wussy whisper"... it comes with a Stealth Mode as Factory Standard!! :lol:

Seriously, my neighbours don't even hear me come home late at night/early morning.

Someone might now try and mention how "loud pipes save lives"... but they'd be wrong ;)

I stand corrected ! :D

Someone might now try and mention how "loud pipes save lives"... but they'd be wrong ;)

it would be foolish to state such a thing, but even more so with modern engines with fuel injection,catalytic converters and engine management systems you have a manufacturer trying to meet stringent emission and noise levels....the result is an engine 'strangled' and silent as a whisper. Since fitting cobra speedster shorts,the cobra fuel processor and a K & N air filter on my XVS1300A it feels like ive got an extra 200cc under my seat, a big difference...at the cost of noise (clarkegray can tell you just how noisy)...but its now breathing freely and i believe it feels 'happier'

I was thinking more that, from experience, I know that you cannot even hear a Harley inside a car until they're already in your blind spot, by which time it's too late.

Most drivers have windows shut, possibly music going and the bike is approaching them.

If they hear it at all, it won't be until the bike is already past them.

I was thinking more that, from experience, I know that you cannot even hear a Harley inside a car until they're already in your blind spot, by which time it's too late.

Most drivers have windows shut, possibly music going and the bike is approaching them.

If they hear it at all, it won't be until the bike is already past them.

most motorists are in too much of a rush,too impatient, too selfish, too busy texting or having phone conversations (or both)... too wrapped up in there own existence to worry about a motorcycle...generally they couldnt give a 'cuss' for bikers. Look out for yourselves out there guys, as we all know...it can be a nasty place and we as bikers are vulnerable against these fools

Midnight61's cobras are loud...!!! They make the cruiser sound like a proper bike! Am definitely looking to replace my stock pipe with something with a bit more rumble.

I wouldn't say loud pipes save lives, what saves lives is defensive riding, a good head on your shoulders and being prepared for the unexpected. However, what I have noticed when filtering (relatively slow speeds) is an occasional rev of the engine MAY get you noticed by car divers when they not paying attention.

most motorists are in too much of a rush,too impatient, too selfish, too busy texting or having phone conversations (or both)... too wrapped up in there own existence to worry about a motorcycle...generally they couldnt give a 'cuss' for bikers.

Not even that...

We regularly drive around down Kent way, where you get a lot of 1%ers blasting past on VERY loud bikes.

Being bikers ourselves, we do SEE them, but you still won't hear them until they're almost past... and we're talking 15+ in formation!!

As mentioned, ride to be seen.

My Dragstar is just too quiet!!! :angry:

Any suggestions on what to do?? Any exhaust recommendations?

Thanx :)

I Just bought my DragStar last week and the previous owner had the original pipes done by the dragstar doctor who from what i can make out is based somewhere near Huddersfield, UK (don't quote me on this though B) )

a bit of a trek from western super mare but he may do courier

Anyway....

My bike all though Standard looking Sounds like something off American Chopper.

Though this is only when really opening it up, it is definitely louder that stock on tickover but if you take it steady its not over loud and it passed its MOT in June with these pipes on too..

I would heartily recommend having this done to yours (price dependent obviously)

or you can have a look here for other ideas -

http://www.650ccnd.com/ht.htm

they seem to have some good ones

I think the Dragstar Doctor is a member on VSOC

http://www.vsoc.org.uk/home.htm

Hope this helps you out....

Dean

• 2 years later...

What ever pipes you decide to get, make sure they have a bigger bore than the down pipes otherwise it will sound tinny, I fitted a pair of slash cut RUMBLERS to my 1100 dragstar and it sounds deep and throaty like a Harley, but they are straight through so I had to go up 10 sizes on my main jets. The noise is quite exceptable when cruising or pottering around town but open it up and its LOUD.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230960241675?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

these are a good replacement

i had them on my last 650 and have just ordered another set for my new draggie

take out the baffles very easy to do(1 bolt)

and they sound sweet....................

It's not a "wussy whisper"... it comes with a Stealth Mode as Factory Standard!! laugh.gif
Seriously, my neighbours don't even hear me come home late at night/early morning.

Someone might now try and mention how "loud pipes save lives"... but they'd be wrong wink.gif

haha stealth mode

i said this the other day when i took the new draggie out

its quiet as hell i hate it lol

If its not shacking windows and spitting flames..................then its just not right!

Old thread but... barely two months after getting my drag, I took the plunge and got me some v&h cruzers. Very happy with them now, even though I slapped some quiet baffles from the US 'cuz I thought they were too loud at first! Took them off again after about a year and a half (far less self-conscious now!) and loving them all over again...

Strangely, I don't really miss the loud pipes...
The Dragstar always gave a loud roar and really talked the talk, especially if I opened it right up. But while the FJ has a quiet, almost self-conscious growl, open that up and even riders on more modern bikes are shocked at how much it actually walks the walk.

The FJ came to me with loud pipes on, but they were more childish and shouty, like a kid on a 'Ped screaming how he's a real biker too coz he has two wheels, or something. Quiet pipes refitted and now I'm back to riding something that sounds more like a spaceship!

Completely different bike mate; I know what you mean about loud cans on sporty bikes (or even motards), they just sound annoying. I would've done exactly the same as you. It's not just/only about being loud, it's got to sound right!

It's not just/only about being loud, it's got to sound right!

You got it in one Tout,

Sporty bikes and muscle bikes sound better in stelth mode IMO, but a V twin Cruiser should be loud proud and sound agressive.

Sports bikes are like the pretty boy in the pub thats got all the cash in the world with a small pecker and very rarely shouts..................Crusiers are the blokes with short man syndrome, near anough like lepricorns cute and can be easily put into a girls pants, loves to shout dance and fuck everyone else off :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online