Front Break Seized

'93 SECA II
This post is 4963 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

The front break on my SECA II is seized, I am unsure on how to go about fixing this, any help would be great. I do believe the break itself doesn't need to be replaced. I can give any additional info if needed.

Cheers & Thanks a bunch,

Calvin

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

believe the break itself doesn't need to be replaced. .

Welcome calvin[ klien] , Can you get parts for them seca"s , , better to find out , Start by removing caliper [ two- bolts usualy] then inspect - pads- pistons[ seals.

You might have to put in vice to free pistons, , check for pitting on pistons,

It's probably full of crud which has stopped the piston moving. Use an air compressor to blow out the piston (keep fingers out the way and point it at a dampner, as when it blows it flys) The piston seals should really be replaced, but if it's on a budget get them out and clean them, replace them and grease them with caliper grease (next to nothing on ebay)

• 3 weeks later...

Brake fluid has a tendency to suck up moisture from its surroundings. This is why it turns dark over time.

Check your fluid and replace if necessary. You might get away with only topping it off, but a complete replacement should be done every year if you use the bike alot.

As suggested above, check the piston and the seals. Seals are cheap on Wemoto. After the piston is out, clean out the caliper with alcohol, taking care to clean the seats where the seals sit. Replace the piston if there are dents on the area that overlaps the seals, as this may leak dirt in and worse - brake fluid out.