TDM 900 Rev counter problem

Booney
This post is 898 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hello Booney,

It would be really good if you could go introduce yourself in the general forum. Unfortunately we have lots of users who join up when they have a problem and disappear afterwards. I'm not a mod or anything, but this does negatively affect a good forum! :D

Anyway 3500rpm rev counter. Does the rev counter drop to 0 when the ignition is off? If it doesn't, the rev counter itself is goosed (or maybe possible to free with a disassembly and rebuild). If it does it when the ignition is on, it may well be the TPS (throttle position sensor), these were a known weakspot and the bikes were recalled for a replacement. Yours may have slipped through the recall (check with YAM UK or your local dealer) or the replacement may have failed. You could test the TPS yourself, however these fail via -nonlinearity and so it may not show up with a multimeter.

Other than that i'm not sure.

regards

PG

• 11 years later...
On 8/28/2010 at 9:54 AM, pilninggas said:

Anyway 3500rpm rev counter. Does the rev counter drop to 0 when the ignition is off? If it doesn't, the rev counter itself is goosed (or maybe possible to free with a disassembly and rebuild). If it does it when the ignition is on, it may well be the TPS (throttle position sensor), these were a known weakspot and the bikes were recalled for a replacement. Yours may have slipped through the recall (check with YAM UK or your local dealer) or the replacement may have failed. You could test the TPS yourself, however these fail via -nonlinearity and so it may not show up with a multimeter.

10 hours ago, Lampwick said:

Did anyone get to the bottom of this, mine also doing the same.

It appears to have been answered.
11 years ago..!

9 hours ago, Snakebite68 said:

It appears to have been answered.
11 years ago..!

I see possible resolutions to the fault, mines stuck on 7000, did the diagnostic check on the TPS, suggested range I believe is 15 to 97, mine results are 14 & 96, out by a fraction. A call to Yam dealer is called for, temp gauge also stuck just below halfway, digital side of the dash seems in good working order.

Are you sure this is a fault, and not a fault CODE?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online