Gear trouble

Emzed
This post is 4948 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi again folks, after long and sometimes "painful" hours getting this little Yam ready for the road, I booked it in for an M.O.T. this afternoon.

Having only had the bike in first gear to ride it round the garden, imagine my dismay to find, that as I set off from my drive on the way to the test station, (in the pouring rain naturally) I could only select first gear !!

OK, I know, I should have tried selecting ALL the gears before this :blush: but I had no reason to suspect a dodgy gearbox as the previous owner had regailed me with tales of derring do and trips from Lowestoft to Arcnamurnum? point ! & Lands End & John o Groats !

He also used it every day for work, so I just expected it to work fine :(

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Please bear in mind that the engine is "welded" into the frame (swinging arm bolt seized) so I cant take the motor out to split the cases :angry2:

Any "sensible" suggestions would be most gratefully received.

Ciao

Em B)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi again folks, after long and sometimes "painful" hours getting this little Yam ready for the road, I booked it in for an M.O.T. this afternoon.

Having only had the bike in first gear to ride it round the garden, imagine my dismay to find, that as I set off from my drive on the way to the test station, (in the pouring rain naturally) I could only select first gear !!

OK, I know, I should have tried selecting ALL the gears before this :blush: but I had no reason to suspect a dodgy gearbox as the previous owner had regailed me with tales of derring do and trips from Lowestoft to Arcnamurnum? point ! & Lands End & John o Groats !

He also used it every day for work, so I just expected it to work fine :(

Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Please bear in mind that the engine is "welded" into the frame (swinging arm bolt seized) so I cant take the motor out to split the cases :angry2:

Any "sensible" suggestions would be most gratefully received.

Ciao

Em B)

Will it shift gears with the engine off, by just rocking back and forth. If it will try staring it in the higher gearand seeing if it will shift.

I have known bikes that have sat and the selector forks have got a little sticky preventing the gears from changing when under load from the drive train. Gradually working the box back and forth with the motor off has freed them up.

Worth a try.

Will it shift gears with the engine off, by just rocking back and forth. If it will try staring it in the higher gearand seeing if it will shift.

I have known bikes that have sat and the selector forks have got a little sticky preventing the gears from changing when under load from the drive train. Gradually working the box back and forth with the motor off has freed them up.

Worth a try.

Cheers mate, I'll try that as soon as it stops F****ing rainin :(

It's a bit difficult at the moment as the bike is outside, I cant get it into the workshop cos that's full of junk & 2 Ducati 750's (also needing TLC)

Other prob is lack of centre stand :angry: meaning I have to dig out the bike jack again (which I've thoughtfully buried in the shed :wacko: )

I too was hoping it might be just "lazy" or inactive selectors, I'll post again as soon as I have something to report.

Ciao

Em B)

Well I've tried to rock it back and forth with the engine off but can still only select 1st and neutral :huh:

Maybe I knocked something out of place when I had the bike on its side "hammering F**K" out of the swinging arm pin ??

Any ideas guys ??

I'm getting desperate and really Pi**ed off now

Em :(

Well I've tried to rock it back and forth with the engine off but can still only select 1st and neutral :huh:

Maybe I knocked something out of place when I had the bike on its side "hammering F**K" out of the swinging arm pin ??

Any ideas guys ??

I'm getting desperate and really Pi**ed off now

Em :(

could be a sticking clutch, try spinning the back wheel by hand and change the gears? with the other!

could be a sticking clutch, try spinning the back wheel by hand and change the gears? with the other!

Cheers drewpy, I've tried all those kinda things, the clutch works just fine :huh: engages and dis-engages, also "slips" whilst in gear, if you know what I mean ? (getting it to partially grip whilst turning back wheel)

Besides which, I can get 1st and neutral with or without the engine running :(

I have considered taking out the "gear detent" bolt from under the selector drum, but I'm not sure if that will do any good :unsure:

If I could get the engine out of the frame I'd have had it in bits by now :angry:

Just running out of ideas.

Em B)

:(

I have considered taking out the "gear detent" bolt from under the selector drum,

Just running out of ideas.

Aye MZ, does the gear shift return , to select the next gear, week spring on selector drum, ?

Aye MZ, does the gear shift return , to select the next gear, week spring on selector drum, ?

Cheers Blacky, yeah the stick bounces back just fine mate, the return spring might be a little on the "weak" side but as I've no experience to compare it with I couldn't be certain :unsure: .

Like I said it finds 1st and neutral no probs just wont select owt else :wacko:

I am assuming the shift pattern is 1 down and 4 up ? because after neutral the stick just goes a Looong way but does nothing :angry:

It doesn't even feel like its "trying" to select a gear, which makes me think the selectors might be jammed on the shaft :unsure:

Thanks for the input though, all suggestions gratefully received.

Em B)

SR250Gearsselect.jpg

...........I am assuming the shift pattern is 1 down and 4 up ? because after neutral the stick just goes a Looong way but does nothing :angry:

It doesn't even feel like its "trying" to select a gear,............

Look at the diagram Em, what you are suggesting sounds like item 16 is not getting hold of the dowels (item8) on the up-stroke. Are all the dowels present and correct?

Or possibly Item 12 is not being pulled down on the cam to keep the drum in place (item 5&6)

You will notice the two hooks on (item 16) which pull and push on the dowels, all of these bits and pieces have little torsion springs to keep them in place and if a spring breaks or is not in position things dont happen correctly.

I think you need the clutch cover off to check it out

This drawing is for reference only, I cannot say your bike is the same but it should be similar

SR250Gearsselect.jpg

Look at the diagram Em, what you are suggesting sounds like item 16 is not getting hold of the dowels (item8) on the up-stroke. Are all the dowels present and correct?

Or possibly Item 12 is not being pulled down on the cam to keep the drum in place (item 5&6)

You will notice the two hooks on (item 16) which pull and push on the dowels, all of these bits and pieces have little torsion springs to keep them in place and if a spring breaks or is not in position things dont happen correctly.

I think you need the clutch cover off to check it out

This drawing is for reference only, I cannot say your bike is the same but it should be similar

Thanks Paul, I'll ragg it apart later today and let you know what I find.

Ciao

Em B)

• 1 month later...
Guest CHRIS-B

Thanks Paul, I'll ragg it apart later today and let you know what I find.

Ciao

Em B)

Emzed, Did you disconect the battery when you welded the engine mount up? sound like to me that you may have welded the gear box together when the welding was done...... I have known it happen.....Don't quite know why it happens but it does .....Chris

P.S if you can't get it to wrk again would you be interested in selling the carb to me....Cheeky B*****D that i am....hahah

Simple one, this - Check the oil.

You may have too much, not enough or even fouled oil... especially if the bike was sat awhile and you haven't changed it recently. It could be sat there all gloopy and 'orrid!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online