Changing front tire 3.0x18 to 100/90-18 Problems?

Ebola Monkey
This post is 4965 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I bought a 100/90-18 a while back for my wife's 82 xs400. It won't fit on the stock 1.60x18 rim so I'm going to relace it with a 2.15x18 rim.

I know that it will be a tight fight, width, and height wise. I also know it's going to throw the speedo off a little.

Do I need to worry about handling though? Will the extra 18mm on the diameter change the handling characteristics?

Thanks In Advance!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Voice of sanity here - why not just replace the 100/90 with a 90/90? Bound to be cheaper than replacing the wheel with all the unknown hassles involved there. Or is it just me that thinks this way?

I'm curious about this also. Have read previous posts regarding tire size. When i purchased my 1980 XS400 a couple months ago, it was fitted with a 100/90 front tire. My rim is the same size as yours and is a cast rim, not wire spokes. The tire looks proper as it is installed on the rim and is listed in sources as the modern equiv. for the 300/18. My plan is to replace both tires this Winter and I was going with 100/90 for the front.

There's a few reasons for not throwing a 90/90 on.

1. I already have the 100/90 tire as I was told by several people that it will work on the front. Everyone's an expert right?
  2. I bought matching front and rear tires... not available in 90/90-18
  3. In the future if I have to replace tires there seem to be 10 times more tire choices in 100/90-18 vs the 90/90
  4. Totally superficial reason here, but the wider tire just looks better.
  5. I'm generally up to a challenge, and like custom stuff. I'm willing to put the extra time and effort into having a wider front rim.

There's a few reasons for not throwing a 90/90 on.

1. I already have the 100/90 tire as I was told by several people that it will work on the front. Everyone's an expert right?
  2. I bought matching front and rear tires... not available in 90/90-18
  3. In the future if I have to replace tires there seem to be 10 times more tire choices in 100/90-18 vs the 90/90
  4. Totally superficial reason here, but the wider tire just looks better.
  5. I'm generally up to a challenge, and like custom stuff. I'm willing to put the extra time and effort into having a wider front rim.

i got a 100/90-18 on my 1.60 rim... I've put 500 miles on it so far with freeway and what not.. no problems. no handling problems I'm aware of. Granted it came with the bike so I don't know how they put it on or how hard it was....

but you should be able to get it on?

Like I said, mine also came with the 100/90 and I have put about 700 miles on the bike. Handling seems fine. I agree with the previous post about choices in the 90/90 size - not available in the couple different makes of tires I am considering. Don't think we really need to change out rims.

Kindest, OllieB,

Would either of you have pictures of the 100/90 on the 1.60 rim?

I tried just squeezing the beads together to 1.6" and the tire looked ridiculous. I don't know if it looks different fully inflated or what.

Kindest, OllieB,

Would either of you have pictures of the 100/90 on the 1.60 rim?

I tried just squeezing the beads together to 1.6" and the tire looked ridiculous. I don't know if it looks different fully inflated or what.

excuse the quality. snapped these real quick.. funny that my small little xs400 front tire is wider then pop's big ass harley.

th_22613_IMG_0970_122_493lo.JPGth_22618_IMG_0971_122_1123lo.JPGth_22620_IMG_0972_122_70lo.JPGth_22627_IMG_0973_122_60lo.JPG

excuse the quality. snapped these real quick.. funny that my small little xs400 front tire is wider then pop's big ass harley.

Thanks!

That doesn't look like it fits bad. Crap.

Almost every tire/rim chart I've seen says a 1.85 is the narrowest rim that should be used with a 100/90-18 tire. Some even say a 2.15 is the narrowest.

Then again my rear tire is a 120/90-16, and they all say 2.50 rim width is the narrowest you can go. Mine's a 2.15.

Probably should have just mounted it up instead of spending $50 on a used rim to relace.

I think the 100/90 looks just right on the O.E. rim. My son has an '81 XS400 with a 3.00X18 tire and side-by-side it looks exactly the same as my 100/90 on these rims.

I get the 2.15 rim laced up to the stock hub last night, and got the tire mounted today.

It's just a little wider than the 3.00x18 tire that was on there before :D

It took a long time, but most of that was polishing the hub, and cleaning/polishing the spokes.

I called Kenda, and they told me that couldn't recommend any rim narrower than 2.50". I'm glad I didn't try to shoehorn it onto the 1.6. Even on the 2.5 rim it just fits under the fender. 1/4-5/16" space side to side, and on top.

tires.jpg

I get the 2.15 rim laced up to the stock hub last night, and got the tire mounted today.

It's just a little wider than the 3.00x18 tire that was on there before :D

It took a long time, but most of that was polishing the hub, and cleaning/polishing the spokes.

I called Kenda, and they told me that couldn't recommend any rim narrower than 2.50". I'm glad I didn't try to shoehorn it onto the 1.6. Even on the 2.5 rim it just fits under the fender. 1/4-5/16" space side to side, and on top.

tires.jpg

Looks good! My son's 3.00 X 18 is not as skinny as yours. Like I said, with our two bikes side-by-side, both tires look basically identical in size - just like your new tire. It is interesting how there are such variations in the same size tire. Have encountered that before. Replaced the stock tires on my scoot last year and the Shinko tires I installed (same size) are beefier than the O.E. Chinese brand tires. Also handle much better!

Looks the dogs bollocks Olie, should handle sweettt,B) I find that under-inflated tyres give more bad feel[ white lining] than anythin, ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online