XS 400 Exhaust Gasket

SgtPepper519
This post is 4991 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everybody,

Today I will be replacing the gaskets where the exhaust meets the head in hope of stopping a leak. I am having a little trouble figuring out which way they go in. One side is smooth and one side has a groove going all the way around. If anyone knows which side should be facing inside the engine please let me know. Here are two pictures (one of each side). Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52806761@N04/4904553885/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52806761@N04/4904553981/

Also was wondering what type of grease would be good to use to help the gaskets stay in position while I install the exhaust pipes. Thanks again.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

no particular way round, don't use grease, it'll smoke and burn and it stinks.

should just pop in and quickly install them.

Wasn't aware they came that way, are those from Yamaha?

My motor is apart and the ex. ports, everything cleaned up, just haven't bothered to pry them out yet . .be awhile before need to.

But from the front, or outward there is no evidence of (or what used to be) a groove.

im replacing my exhaust for a cleaner set pretty soon.. are the gaskets re-usuable or need to be replaced.

where did you get the gaskets from

reuse them , if they leak get new ones!!

Wasn't aware they came that way, are those from Yamaha?

My motor is apart and the ex. ports, everything cleaned up, just haven't bothered to pry them out yet . .be awhile before need to.

But from the front, or outward there is no evidence of (or what used to be) a groove.

Yes they are from Yamaha but I don't think they were the original type used.

The ones I replaced were completely different.

They were not copper and did not have a groove

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online