Starter problem with 95 FZR600R

Rif
This post is 4994 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My FZR600R 1995 has just starter to be touchy about starting.

A few times now I have pushed the starter button and there has been a loud and un-nerving clunk from the engine and then with any further depression of the start button the light panel (by the clocks) dims and there is no movement from the starter motor. I have then put the bike in gear and rocked it back and fourth abit and then tried again and it has started with no issue. I can only assume that the Starter may be jaming some how. could anyone advise if they agree or have an alternative suggestion, also what part of the starter may be causing it. and also where I might get the parts to fix it.

Thanks to all who give time to read this.

Best regards

Rif

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A few times now I have pushed the starter button and there has been a loud and un-nerving clunk from the engine and then with any further depression of the start button the light panel (by the clocks) dims and there is no movement from the starter motor. I have then put the bike in gear and rocked it back and fourth abit and then tried again and it has started with no issue. I can only assume that the Starter may be jaming some how. could anyone advise if they agree or have an alternative suggestion, also what part of the starter may be causing it. and also where I might get the parts to fix it.

Best regards

Rif

my mate had this problem he used to tap the starter motor with a hammer or something then try it but then he took his starter motor off and the bushes had worn alot and the magnetic walls inside had cracked i suppose it got too hot and seized maybe time for a new starter motor

wait for some other replies first as i might be wrong other people on this forum are alot better than me :(

my fzr400 used to do it now and then but i done exactly what you have done.

it never packed up on me and now my son has the bike and its still ok .

my mate had this problem he used to tap the starter motor with a hammer or something then try it but then he took his starter motor off and the bushes had worn alot and the magnetic walls inside had cracked i suppose it got too hot and seized maybe time for a new starter motor

wait for some other replies first as i might be wrong other people on this forum are alot better than me :(

Thanks for the tip

Best regards

Rif

New carbon brushes in the starter are "probably" all it needs, but you will see how bad the commutator is when you take it off.

Sometimes a "dead" segment can be the cause, but more often than not it's the brushes.

Good luck

Em B)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online