got sr 125 going

skik
This post is 4999 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi i bought a non running sr 125.i knew it needed a carb so got one off ebay and put it on today.it started but idles way too fast.the throttle stop screw does nothing and the mixture screw only makes it worse.the throttle cable is slackened off fully.the throttle valve seem to move up and down freely.has anyone got any ideas on what to do?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

could the slide be in backwards chris

can it go i backwards? i just put it on so the split in the barrel[if you know what i mean]goes over the wee nipple inside

can it go i backwards? i just put it on so the split in the barrel[if you know what i mean]goes over the wee nipple inside

Sounds like a classic case of "weak" mixture to me :unsure:

Are you sure that there are no air leaks at the inlet or the rear of the carb where it meets filter ?

Also, does it have an air filter ?

It may be an "empty chamber" :huh:

Em B)

sounds like you have it right then , but it is easily done then the slide cant reach the bottom causing high revs.but its usually very high revs

Sounds like a classic case of "weak" mixture to me :unsure:

Are you sure that there are no air leaks at the inlet or the rear of the carb where it meets filter ?

Also, does it have an air filter ?

It may be an "empty chamber" :huh:

Em B)

the cover is off the air filter.i have it but no screws.the foam is in a bad way tears,rips.ive tried holding the cover on but no difference.i got the carb off ebay,i think its off an earlier model,would that make a difference

the cover is off the air filter.i have it but no screws.the foam is in a bad way tears,rips.ive tried holding the cover on but no difference.i got the carb off ebay,i think its off an earlier model,would that make a difference

Maybe, maybe not, but it may have the wrong jets in OR... the pilot jet may be blocked causing it to run weak :huh:

Although if that's the case, it should be hard to start and require some throttle to get it to fire.

Try stripping the carb and cleaning out the float bowl and the jets.

But do check ALL the connections to the engine especially the the hose on the cylinder head.

If this is "perished" after standing a long time it could be drawing air in there.

A quick cure would be to wrap it with "self amalgamating" rubber tape, you can buy this for a few quid from good hardware shops. It warms up as you stretch it and sticks to itself ^_^ (or do what I did and "blag" some from a telephone engineer, they use it to wrap wiring to keep out damp, and often have a bit left on a roll ;) )

As for the foam,if your skint and can't afford one you could cut up a car washing sponge as a temporary fix. Dont get one with cells which are too "tight" a sharp pair of scissors will do the job :thumb:

You could probably get away with some "self tapping" screws to hold the cover on till you find the right ones, dont FORCE them in try some which "just" grip enough then you wont do too much damage to the original threads for when you find the right ones :thumb:

Maybe someone on here knows what screws from something else might fit :unsure:

Best of luck

Em B)

Maybe, maybe not, but it may have the wrong jets in OR... the pilot jet may be blocked causing it to run weak :huh:

Although if that's the case, it should be hard to start and require some throttle to get it to fire.

But do check ALL the connections to the engine especially the the hose on the cylinder head.

If this is "perished" after standing a long time it could be drawing air in there.

A quick cure would be to wrap it with "self amalgamating" rubber tape, you can buy this for a few quid from good hardware shops. It warms up as you stretch it and sticks to itself ^_^ (or do what I did and "blag" some from a telephone engineer, they use it to wrap wiring to keep out damp, and often have a bit left on a roll ;) )

As for the foam,if your skint and can't afford one you could cut up a car washing sponge as a temporary fix. Dont get one with cells which are too "tight" a sharp pair of scissors will do the job :thumb:

You could probably get away with some "self tapping" screws to hold the cover on till you find the right ones, dont FORCE them in try some which "just" grip enough then you wont do too much damage to the original threads for when you find the right ones :thumb:

Best of luck

Em B)

thanks for that.i still have the old broken carb with jets.i will take it off tomorrow after work,give it a good clean and change the jets about.mine is a 1992 model,the carb i got is off a 1995 one i wonder if there is any difference in them.also ill get a sponge and some long self tappers and try it.let you know how it works out.thanks again

You could probably get away with some "self tapping" screws to hold the cover on till you find the right ones, dont FORCE them in try some which "just" grip enough http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gifthen you wont do too much damage to the original threads for when you find the right ones :thumb:

Best of luck

Em B)

happy days.she is purring like a kitten.it was my stupid fault.i had the throttle cable coming round the wrong side of the tank stretching the cable :rolleyes: thanks anyway,im sure ill be back as i have to strip her down to paint.by the way should i brush paint the frame with smooth hammerite or spray gloss its black?

happy days.she is purring like a kitten.it was my stupid fault.i had the throttle cable coming round the wrong side of the tank stretching the cable :rolleyes: thanks anyway,im sure ill be back as i have to strip her down to paint.by the way should i brush paint the frame with smooth hammerite or spray gloss its black?

B)

Spray it, with black Hammerite SMOOTH :thumb:

Em B)